Thanks

USB 3.0 Controller Question

I have a WD My Book Essential 3TB external USB hard drive, and it has 3.0 USB capability. My own computer only has 2.0 controllers on it, according to the motherboard specs. However, I noticed that the drive had, in addition to the WD Firmware software on it, a NEC Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver on it. Does this drive enable 3.0 speeds on my computer, or merely install a driver for 3.0 USB, assuming I had a 3.0 USB hub?

If the latter is true, is there a PCI to USB 3.0 card I could use, besides a PCI-e card? The reason I ask is that I do not have any free PCI-e cards on my motherboard, but I do have regular PCI slots available.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You need a controller on your PC to use the drive with full 3.0 speeds, no way around that. I think all adapters I have seen have a PCI Express interface, but try google, maybe you can find one with a PCI interface.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's one at Amazon, the PCI bus is not as fast as a 1xPCIe bus but it should still be more than adequate for a mechanical drive.

Thanks
    Thanks both of you for the prompt and helpful replies! Great find Infinicore; that could just do the trick for me! However, new information has come to light. After consulting my motherboard user manual, it appears that I do in fact have two PCI-e 2.0 slots, but they are x8 and x16. Will they still work with the smaller x1 PCI-e USB 3.0 card?
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Thanks
    Here is another site;http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...oller+&x=0&y=0
    The best of luck on what ever you decide.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Everything I've heard indicates a 1x will work fine in a larger PCIe slot...not the other way 'round though!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinicore View Post
    Everything I've heard indicates a 1x will work fine in a larger PCIe slot...not the other way 'round though!
    Yep, I agree with that.

Thanks
    Thank you for the link chowur; now I have a bigger problem: so many choices! Thank you for confirming the x1 compatibility issue Infinicore and Browni. I think I just need to pick a card and be good to go! One final question: if I do go with a regular PCI card, rather than a PCI-e, will it be slower in terms of transfer speeds with the USB 3.0 ports, just because it isn't the faster technology?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well you might expect to get upwards of 300 MB/s transfer speed with USB 3 (let's figure you get half at most of the rated speed). A 1xPCIe is capable of handling speeds up to 500 MB/s or so while a PCI slot is only rated at about 133 MB/s I think.

So a mechanical drive put on either is going to be the limiting factor at 80 or 100 MB/s transfer speed or so. However, if you put a fast SSD on the PCI slot card, the SSD will be limited by the 133 MB/s transfer speed, but the SSD will not be limited by the 500 MB/s bandwidth of the PCIe slot (most likely....for now ).

So if you're planning on putting SSDs on those ports, go with the PCIe card.

Thanks
    Thank you for crunching the numbers, Infinicore. Right, I understand that PCI is slower, so that would explain why it would be a better choice with this. I do actually have an SSD, but I don't know if I would use it too much with the USB 3.0 port, as I always try to minimize writes to the drive.

The 3.0 USB card is actually going to be used in backups, because I recently got a 3TB external hard drive (see first post) that has the 3.0 connection, so would that be the bottleneck for the USB PCI card at around 80 to 100 MB/s?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know what the read rate of a 3TB drive would be exactly...the areal density must be quite, well, dense!!

I've seen some reports on a Hitachi Deskstar 3TB (probably similar to the rest) testing sustained read speeds return about 115 MB/s with "real world" file copy tests at around 60 MB/s, which is pretty much what I get (50-56 MB/s) whenever I copy from a mechanical drive and I know the transport bus is not the limiting factor like USB 2 would be.

So on paper it doesn't look like the PCI slot will limit performance in this case. Never know though, might be something quirky about PCI slots that I/we don't know about.

Thanks
    Understood, thanks for the clarification Infinicore. I found a PCI-e card that was really cheap, cheaper even than a regular PCI card, so I've gone with that, and I'm just waiting for it to arrive. Do you know of any benchmark software I could use to test the transfer speed? Then I can report back and see if your numbers correlate with mine.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't use any, just go by what TeraCopy is reporting as it copies large data sets to and fro, but there's CrystalDiskMark I know of and for SSDs, AS SSD.