New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2010 Pro Plus Installation Failure: HRESULT: 0x80070003

Several months ago I purchased an upgrade package to move from Office 2007 to Office 2010 Professional Plus. Each installation fails giving the following message:

Error 1935: An error occurred during the installation of assembly component {3F-A0170E-227C-37C7-BACD-64691A992C81}. HRESULT: 0x80070003.

I have spent hours (HOURS!) searching for solutions including the Microsoft Answers website and various other "hits" from Google. I have also been getting an HRESULT error when attempting to update iTunes, and after updating to iTunes 10.4, I have to start it using XP compatibility mode.

I tried a "safe" reinstall of Windows 7 (running SP1, and uninstalled SP1 first), and when I did that, there was a major snafu resulting in having to select a boot option at each startup. I used Acronis and restored to an earlier point which fixed that problem.

I am convinced that it is a .NET problem or C++ file corruptions. However, running sfc/ scannow reveals no problems. I also ran several suggested Net Framework repair options I found; alas, no success. I have NOT uninstalled Office 2007 secondary to reports that after attempting to install Office 2010, users were unable to reinstall Office 2007.

I even considering buying Win7 Professional and installing that to fix files, but was told that would probably be a waste of money and time.

I am fairly computer literate (CompTIA A+ certified). I am close to just giving up and waiting until I replace this Dell XPS 720 in a year or so (oh, and again Windows 7, SP1, TONS of free space on C drive, 8 GB RAM, and all other programs except iTunes run fine - I have to now start iTunes running XP compatability). Just thought I would reach out to this talented and knowledgeable group.

Thanks for any input, suggestions, or insights.

Ed

Thanks
    Ed,

Here's what I would try:
    1. Restore using Acronis.
    2. Run several AV & RootKit programs to make sure your not infected in any way, rebooting after each.
    3. Uninstall any un-necessary software, including iTunes since it is causing problems, using REVO and reboot after each.
    4. If you have a Retail install disk for Office 2007, uninstall it and reboot, if not skip this step.
    5. Install Office 2010.
    6. If successful immediately use TI to Image the machine.
    7. Re-install any software you need one at a time and test each one if you encounter problems immediately uninstall, then do a System Restore back to before it was installed.
    8. Image once again.
    9. Run Windows update and check for problems.
    10. Image again.
    11. Retry installing any necessary programs that failed in step 7 and test as before.
    12. Image again.

Good luck.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much. Machine is clean (McAfee and Malwarebytes), iTunes is not causing problems just seems to be impacted by the same file (likely corrupted, e.g., .Net or Visual C++), according to other threads uninstall of Office 2007 and efforts install 2010 (which fails) and then reinstall 2007 results in inability to install 2007.

Really appreciate your input.

Ed

Thanks
    Ed,

If Office 2007 is in your TI Image you don't really need to worry about being able to reinstall it.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks

Excellent point ...

Excellent point. And, worth a try.

Thanks again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update: Just got an upgrade to Raxco PerfectDisk (12.5) and when I attempted to install it (over 12.0), I'm getting another 1935 Error: {844EFBA7-1C24-93B2-A01F-C8B3B9A1E8E} HRESULT: 0x80070003. Same HRESULT error, different {} error.

I keep thinking there is some corrupted file somewhere that is not showing up when I run SFC /scannow.

Wonder if the Wise and Wonderful Fred Langa ever checks the lounge? :-)

Administrator
    Thanks
    See if the post from Rohn007 dated October 30 at Office 2010 installation error helps.

Also, see Troubleshooting Office installation failures.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe. The Rohn007 suggestions were actually in response to my post outlining the problem, and I did follow his suggestions. I have not checked out the "Troubleshooting Office" link but will do so.

The fact that it is happening now with another progam and that iTunes will not update continues to lead me now the path of some corrupted file somewhere.