Thanks

Recommend a good, free duplicate-file finder?

Anyone know of a good free tool to find dup files ?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.google.com/search?source=...=Google+Search

There are lots of them available, you'll need to find the one with the features you like.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rlindsay For This Useful Post:

Jagworld (2011-12-04)

Thanks
    Easy dup finder wanted $$$ Used Auslogics Duplicate File Finder....free :-)

Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Duplicate Finder by ashisoft. http://www.ashisoft.com/ It works on XP,Vista and 7, both 32 and 64bit. It's simple to use and works very well. You can check your entire system or you can have it compare one folder to another folder or folders, etc.

It's FREE too

6. The Following User Says Thank You to James S For This Useful Post:

Happyfenny (2012-11-02)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    I've never seen a PC, so screwed up by its owner, as one where a Duplicate File Finder was indiscriminately used. That means, used by someone not really understanding what they were doing.

There are files on every PC that MUST be in multiple places for everything to work properly. Start deleting those multiple files and you will trash your PC.

Now, if you get very selective and only look for multiple Pictures, for instance, that's another matter. Or multiple sound files, movies, etc.

So it's not so much a matter of what Multiple File Finder to use as 'should you use one at all'.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

High Sierra (2012-01-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Duplicate Cleaner by Digital Volcano is easy to use, and free. I agree with DrWho that it is important to use care when deleting files.

Jim

Thanks
    I just installed the free one from Auslogics.. Works almost too good! Caution!
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    I know a website offering this kind of service, www.copyscape.com

There are some free to use times for you, but after that you will be asked to pay for it

New Lounger
    Thanks
    http://duplicatefilesdeleter.com/ seems like a great tool too

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=DrWho;831499]I've never seen a PC, so screwed up by its owner, as one where a Duplicate File Finder was indiscriminately used. That means, used by someone not really understanding what they were doing.

There are files on every PC that MUST be in multiple places for everything to work properly. Start deleting those multiple files and you will trash your PC.

Now, if you get very selective and only look for multiple Pictures, for instance, that's another matter. Or multiple sound files, movies, etc.

So it's not so much a matter of what Multiple File Finder to use as 'should you use one at all'.

My daughter has lost her Dell hard drive twice, had a friend rebuild the C and data partitions for her and now asked me to help her back up everything to a new external drive. Looking at it I am blown away by the multiple occurences of My Documents ( including all the other "My" folders), Documents and Settings, etc...
    I'm thinking I can look at the target for the current XP references, combine the duplicate folder contents there and address duplicates that show up in the copy process.
    Otherwise I could use a duplicate finder and give preference to the currently addressed XP folders, deleting the others.
    The D&S files scare me since they are there for 4 different user accounts multiple times.
    It's such a ball of worms I wonder if I should dig in or just leave it be...
    Have you ever run across a similar case, and if so, what would you do?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Auslogics Duplicate File Finder is a basic program that allows users to find and delete duplicate files taking up valuable space on their hard drives.
    It works good...you can try it

New Lounger
    Thanks

Delete duplicate files

I've recently found a software "Duplicate Files Deleter", and it can help you with this. Check their web site . There is a video to explain the process. Pretty nice solution to delete duplicates safely.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    I've never seen a PC, so screwed up by its owner, as one where a Duplicate File Finder was indiscriminately used. That means, used by someone not really understanding what they were doing.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays!

The Doctor
    I totally agree with this. That is why I use the FREE duplicate finder by MindGems: http://www.mindgems.com
    It has protection for system files and folders which is turned on by default. If you are experienced enough you can turn it off from the settings

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I only search for duplicates of docs and photos. My 1st choice is Nirsoft Search my Files. It provides a lot of flexibility. You can ask for Standard search, duplicates search, non-duplicates search and summary. You can specify what folders to search and which to not search. The search results is displayed in a separate window which allows sorting by, filename, folder, size, duplicate #, even modified time. The flexibility might be a little intimidating, but it is real nice. You can select and pick and choose which to delete or not delete. Even copy to other folders.
    As Dr Who says, you can really get into trouble with this one.
    A second choice would be Glary Utilities. It also includes a duplicates finder.
    Both are freeware.
    Michael