Thread: Possible SCRDL?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Possible SCRDL?

I seem to have this on my laptop. Good news is that it does not appear to be harmful, just annoying.

Googling provides some information, but I cannot find a removal tool.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,049 Posts
    Have you tried the usual effective tools, such as Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mattpoll View Post
    I seem to have this on my laptop.

I cannot find a removal tool.

Can anyone help me?
    Matt,
    Hello...Have you tried this free tool? Malwarebytes Free Also check out their Forum ... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep, tried both. Can't be found and I still have the infection. Might just do the wipe and reinstall. Not looking forward to that at all.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,049 Posts
    I would try some of the emergency kits from the various AV / anti malware providers, such as this one from Emsisoft: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/eek/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mattpoll (2011-12-15)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll display some ignorance and ask:
    what's a SCRDL?

Dick

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Dick,
    Hello..as far as i know it is a virus that makes random sounds on your PC....not much about it...Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2011-12-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes and it seems to be a gold plated SOB. It seems I got it from a java based Windows 7 gadget.

Thanks, Microsoft for taking away the Windows 7 Gallery, before the Windows 8 beta even rolls out!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Haven't tried Emsisoft yet, downloading it now.

Thanks!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could take a peak at your registry using TrendMicro's HijackThis which will give you a very good look at everything. http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/. You may spot this thing in there. I think this is some kind of spyware/malware etc so I would try some of the basic removal tools. Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot, AdAware are all free. There are a number of free scan's for virus's as well along with what you have installed. I believe all of these have a free online scan, TrendMicro's Housecall, BitDefender, Kaspersky, Norton, AVG. But as I said, I don't believe this is a virus but malware. Good luck
    Last edited by James S; 2011-12-15 at 08:24.

Lounger
    Thanks

malware/spyware removal

I recommend the bleeping computer forums for help with virus/malware removal if the previous suggestions don't work. They are great with HijackThis. The volunteers there are very helpful, and have never failed to help me remove nasty infections. That is where I learned about Malwarebytes and SAS. I now use them both and no longer have infections. Just remember they are volunteers, who have regular jobs, and it may take a few days of post, and following directions, posting results, etc.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't help but wondering if this issue you have, a sound, isn't embedded within a program you installed. The simple lack of very much information about this makes me question that its even malware or virus. I did checks for it at a few virus websites to see if they had it in their database (Symatec and TrendMicro) and nothing, and I did the same at some well know spyware/malware websites such as http://www.spywareguide.com/ and a few others with the same results. Perhaps it is within a program you have installed. If you can remember when this problem started and you think you know what program it started with, have you tried to unistall that particular program. It would also be nice to know what program you think it may be as well.