New Lounger
    Thanks

Help with router-switch-router setup

Hi all. Iím trying to set up a dual wireless router system in my house and having some trouble. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Setup involves two routers (both DLink DGL-4500ís) and a switch (DLink DGS-1008G). There are several PCís, running a mix of Win7 Pro 64 bit and Win XP Pro SP2. Router 1 is connected to the internet via the WAN port, two of the LANís go to office machines, one LAN goes to the switch. The PCís in the immediate area are connected to the switch, and then I have a CAT6 running from the switch to Router 2. Both routers have wireless enabled (G and N), each with itís own SSID, password, operating channel (5 channels apart),and IP address. Wireless security settings are identical (WPA/WPA2, TKIP/AES) except for passwords. Iím trying to accomplish two things here:

1. Increase the number of available wired ports, and add wired capability at each end of the house (accomplished).
    2. Give myself better wireless coverage throughout the house (still trying).

Wired, I have no problems at all. I also have no problems with wireless on router 1. Iím having trouble with the wireless on router 2. Here are the scenarios Iím running into:

1. Connecting switch to LAN on router 2, router 1 assigning DHCP, router 2 DCHP disabled, both routers on same network (example 192.168.0.xxx): In this scenario, I cannot connect to router 2 wirelessly because router 2 will not assign a IP address. Wired works fine.
    2. Connecting switch to LAN on router 2, both routers set up to assign DHCP with differing specified ranges, both routers on same network (192.168.0.xxx): In this scenario, PCís wired to router 2 get separate IPís from each router, and have full network access, including Internet. Router 1 however, is only assigning an IP to PCís *wired* to router 2. PCís connected wirelessly to router 2 get an IP from router 2 only. This gives me full access *within* the network for PCís connected wirelessly to router 2, but not access to the Internet, since router 1 is not assigning an IP.
    3. Connecting switch to WAN on router 2, both routers set up to assign DCHP, but separate network addresses (example Ė 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1): In this scenario I have Internet access across the board (wired and wireless), but no access between PCís on separate networks. I can use a PC on 192.168.0.xxx to take control of a PC on 192.168.1.xxx using remote software (like Remote Desktop Connection) if I specify the IP address, but I do not have access between 192.168.0.xxx and 192.168.1.xxx using a standard ďExplorer-typeĒ program (for instance, accessing a drive on a PC on 192.168.1.xxx from a PC on 192.168.0.xxx).

Is there an easy way to use scenario 3 and bridge the two networks so I have complete access between them, or am I missing something thatís keeping scenario 2 from working? Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    I'm no expert on this but I just went through a smaller version this morning and got it to work this way.
    Both routers are Linksys WRT54GSes. Router 1 connects to my cable modem & Linksys 5 port switch.
    Router is connected to the switch, and this is important, via a crossover cable. The WAN port on the second router is NOT used!
    Router 2 Setup
    1. IP address: 192.168.1.254
    2. Sub Net Mask: 255.255.255.0
    3. DHCP turned off.
    4. I also have Wireless on this one off since they are basically next to each other just using it as a switch to get more ports and longer wire length.

This works for me...YMMV.

BTW: Router 1's DHCP is set up to assign IPs from 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.150.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

PRSman (2011-12-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi RetiredGeek. Thanks for the quick reply.

Your setup is similar to my scenario 1. This works fine with everything wired to router 2. The problem is that I want to be able to connect to router 2 wireless as well. With the DHCP on router 2 disabled, you can't connect wireless to router 2 because it won't assign an IP address and therefore won't let you connect wireless.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I probably would configure routers to assign different ranges for the same network, both with DHCP enabled and would connect switch to router 1, then would connect another switch port to wan port on router 2. In such a situation, router 2 would get an IP from router 1 and would assign IPs to wireless devices using IPs from its assigned range. I have never done this, but I would do it like this if I had to.

Another option would be to simply use router 2 as a wireless access point. The same physical connections would be used. This would mean all IPs would be assigned by router 1.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply ruirib. I've tried your suggestion. If I connect to the WAN port on router 2, the only way I can get network connection is to have two different networks set up (ex. 192.168.0.xxx and 192.168.1.xxx). If I have things set up on the same network but with different ranges, I get no connection on anything in router 2. Am I doing something wrong?

Your suggestion is similar to my scenario 2, except that I use the LAN on the router 2. In that instance, anything connected to router 2 wireless gets network access, but no Internet access. Router 1 is not assigning an IP to anything wireless on router 2. I've tried configuring router 2 as a AP as well, but I get the same result...Network access, but no Internet access for anything wireless on router 2. There's got to be a setting somewhere I'm missing, I just can't figure it out.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hmmm... I don't know why Router 2 is not getting an IP address from Router 1. Is it set to get it's address using DHCP?

If DHCP does not work on Router 2, maybe you could specify the Router 2 settings manually, with a fixed IP and defining the IP address of Router 1 as the gateway and DNS server of Router 2. Router 2 should be the DHCP server for devices connected to it. In this case, you should connect switch to Lan on R2.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-12-08 at 10:48.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    R1 connect to modem DHCP to rest of wired and wireless network.
    S1 Switch one serving local pc's and printers
    R2 Static from R1 DHCP to local wired and wireless network

I would think that the Gateway on R2 should be the Local IP of the R1

I would think that if you were to split the DHCP say from 2~125 on R1 to 127~253 on R2 or any variant that doesn't overlap you should have a viable network. Make sure all pc's are on the one Workgroup. Windows7 will also want to know if it's a home, work, or public workgroup. Which has nothing to do with the Workgroup NAME. If you tell it that it's a home network it will give you a code to put in on the other computers to connect to the home network.

If that don't work, let me know and I will work it some more.