Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

OE won't send mail but does receive it

Outlook Express is not sending e-mails but it is receiving them. I spoke with tech support at Verizon and after they went thru and checked settings they say I need to update my drivers??? or I need updates to my OS (Windows XP Pro SP3). I believe I have all the updates for OE and I can't believe that an outdated driver is causing this problem. The computer in question is only a year old(I built it). Here is the error message I am getting...

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: "incoming.verizon.net". Server: outgoing.verizon.net, Protocol: SMPT, Port: 995. Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: "incoming.verizon.net". Server: incoming.verizon.net, Protocol: SMPT, Port: 465. Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Any thoughts anyone?

Urge

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Am I wrong in thinking that this problem has to be in the OE Program?

Urge

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    It may be the program or Verizon's servers. Do you have other accounts?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do have other accounts. I have a second computer with another E-mail account and it works fine.

Urge

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Urge View Post
    I do have other accounts. I have a second computer with another E-mail account and it works fine.

Urge
    Do the accounts use the same servers?
    You don't have a gmail or hotmail account that you could use to test access to the account, without going through OE?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have any other account than OE. They do use the same servers. If it were useful I guess I could set one up for testing. Alternatively, Would converting to another E-mail program maybe solve my issues?

Urge

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you are used to OE and like it, why change until you are sure the problem is with OE?
    I would try a gmail account and then configure it to read from your problematic account. That will allow you to determine if the problem is with the account or not. Then you can decide. If the problem is with the account, moving to other client will be a waste of time.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib wrote...
    I would try a gmail account and then configure it to read from your problematic account. That will allow you to determine if the problem is with the account or not.
    I don't understand what you mean? What sort of configuring do you mean? Can you give me some direction?

Urge

Administrator
    Thanks
    In gmail, for example, you can choose to import mail and contacts from a POP account. Once you choose this option, a wizard will take it through several steps, to import your email. If you use this process to access your problematic account, one of two things will happen:

1. Import works - you will know the problem is then with OE;
    2. Import doesn't work - you will know the problem is not with OE and your provider needs to look into it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I set up a GMail acct. and imported my contacts and messages (I only had 2, both from Verizon) from OE. The contacts were successfully imported but not the messages. So now I'm confused, is this 1. Import works or 2. Import doesn't work? Or something else?

Urge

Thanks
    As a tech, I run into all sorts of really weird errors with email. O.E. is not exempt.

The first thing that comes to mind is a "Sent Items" folder that had gotten too large, after not being emptied in several years.
    There were over 10,000 old emails stored in that folder. Also empty the deleted items folder.
    I deleted the folder, to save time, and then O.E. began sending mail normally.

Second problem I had to repair was that in the Options>Advanced section where the port numbers are entered, the wrong port number was entered for the smtp port, so mail could not be sent.
    Had the wrong number been entered in the POP (receive) port, then O.E. would not have been able to receive mail.
    For GMail......The receive port (pop) needs to be 465 and the send port (smtp) needs to be 995. No other numbers will work.
    The little boxes to the left of the port numbers must BOTH be checked.

If Thunderbird is used for your email program, it automatically puts in the proper port numbers. All you have to do is put in your personal info and tell the program that you're using POP and not IMAC. That's as complicated as it gets.
    Thunderbird works all the way up through Windows 8/DP.

Take nothing for granted..... check every entry in the email setup in O.E.

Good Luck,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    How did you import from OE? I guess you mean you added your your problematic email account to your gmail account and gmail was unable to retrieve the messages, right?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib wrote...
    I guess you mean you added your your problematic email account to your gmail account and gmail was unable to retrieve the messages, right?
    Isn't that what you suggested to do in post #9? My symptoms have changed, I cannot send or receive e-mail. I haven't changed any settings since I first posted. These are the error messages I am getting now...

When I hit Send/receive

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'incoming.verizon.net', Server: 'incoming.verizon.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

When I try to Send mail

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'incoming.verizon.net', Server: 'outgoing.verizon.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Urge

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Urge View Post
    ruirib wrote...

Isn't that what you suggested to do in post #9? My symptoms have changed, I cannot send or receive e-mail. I haven't changed any settings since I first posted. These are the error messages I am getting now...

When I hit Send/receive

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'incoming.verizon.net', Server: 'incoming.verizon.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

When I try to Send mail

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'incoming.verizon.net', Server: 'outgoing.verizon.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Urge
    Indeed it was. The fact that gmail can't access it shows the issue is not caused by OE. Something is definitely wrong with the account. You need to contact your tech support and let them know about this development and they need to fix it.

Thanks
    Well, thank Google that you can just go to your email app at 'Google.com' and do all your emailing from there. (Web Mail) [that is, if you're using GMail for your email supplier]

Many people do that anyway for several reasons, like not wanting to download email that may be virus infected, to their computer.

Back in ancient times, when I had a dial-up ISP, I've had to enlist the help of a 'Technician' at my ISP to clean things up and reset my account to get my email working. It usually just takes them a few seconds to do that....if you can find a Tech that knows what he's doing.

Also, some companies like AOL, will block an entire ISP if someone at that ISP is sending SPAM.

Recently, I had to rebuild a customer's PC that was sorely neglected for over two years. When I got it rebuilt it tried to download email from GMail. I won't go into all the gory details, but I wound up having to go to GMail and log into their account and delete over 11,000 emails that had been stored there, to stop the massive downloads. I also reset GMail to delete all mail once it was downloaded to the computer.

It never occurs to most users, that their email program requires "Maintenance" periodically.
    I clean up all my own email JUNK, once a week.

Happy Holidays Mates!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-12-15 at 10:15.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast