New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Opening Word template with form fields loses form fields in Word 2010

I've create a form in Word 2010 with compatibility set off. All the form controls are the new word 2010 type. I've then saved the form as a .dotm or .dotx template. I would expect when I create a new document based upon the template, I'd have a new document with form fields. But instead all the form fields are gone. What I am Doing wrong?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Just to start, can you confirm which type of form controls you're using? Are you using the Content Controls (which were first introduced with Word 2007), or are you using the old 'legacy' formfields?

One possible scenario is if you have a template in .dotm or .dotx file format, which contains content controls, but when you create a new document based on that template, the new document is then getting saved in the old ".doc" file format - in that scenario, the content controls would not be retained in the new document.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem solved. I had set my Save as default option to Word 97 compatibilty, so when it started the new document it set it to the compatibility mode hence loosing all the form field controls - which were the new Content Control Form fields.
    Last edited by sfriedman39; 2011-12-06 at 21:42.