ileacy

Windows XP and Home Networks

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,apn=2&s=1034&a=11839&ap=1,00.asp>This</A> Extreme Tech article gives a very good description of how to network your home and the differences between using XP Home and Professional to do the job.

It was written before the final release of WinXP but appears to still be valid.

ileacy

Re: Windows XP and Home Networks

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,3428,a=11839,00.asp>This</A> link is to the complete article as a single document.

It is worth checking both links to see the followup posts to the article.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is a great reference -- thanks.

When I installed XP Home (clean, after reformating the hard drive), it correctly set up my internet area and my home-click (Ethernet over phone line) access to a Windows 98 PC. That was great.

However, with my previous disasterous Windows Me setup on the PC, I used Laplink to sync many files on my desktop with a laptop running Windows Me. My version of Laplink will not work with Win XP (according to the advisory response I ran before upgrading), so I have not tried to reinstall it. I was hoping to use direct connect for this.

I have been unable to get the desktop (XP) and laptop (Me) to "see" each other. I would prefer to run a USB link, but this does not show up in the wizard. The parallel link (using Laplink or DirectParallel cabling) also does not show up.

Any thoughts on how I might get this working?

[Also, can you confirm that XP has the same path length limitation (about 256 characters) as Me?]

MANY thanks!

globalist

ileacy

<hr>
    I have been unable to get the desktop (XP) and laptop (Me) to "see" each other. I would prefer to run a USB link, but this does not show up in the wizard. The parallel link (using Laplink or DirectParallel cabling) also does not show up.

Any thoughts on how I might get this working?
    <hr>
    The procedures for parallel cable networking are covered in the XP online help. Use Help Search key "direct cable connect" for details.

USB networking is not supported. What is supported is external USB network adapters. Third party products, like LapLink, add this capability.

<hr>
    [Also, can you confirm that XP has the same path length limitation (about 256 characters) as Me?]
    <hr>
    Maximum length is unchanged at 256.

ileacy

A followup to the prior post.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.lpt.com/Questions/USBConnectFAQ/usbconnectfaq.htm>Direct Linq</A> provides complete software for USB networking with their connection cables.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your rapid replies.

Re 256 characters: Is there a routine that goes through a folder and subfolders, shortening filder and file names? [I know -- sounds crazy, but ....]

Re the software: I'll have to track some down, as the cables at the store were not by the same companies you mentioned. I had tried the approach you mentioned for parallel approach, with software installed but the system nor recognizing the other PC.

globalist

globalist

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Follow-up to my prior post: Would Windows XP professional have handled the USB networking (with the other PC being Me or, if necessary, a particular version of XP)?

Thanks.

globalist

ileacy

No. For some reason Microsoft still requires 3rd party software to do the job.

ileacy

256 Characters is the maximum size of some internal areas. Sometimes a relative path will work when an absolute (ie. fully specified) path will not.

Direct connect requires network setup on both systems.