New Lounger
    Thanks

WMI Provider (wmiprvse.exe) constantly calling tzres.dll

The other day I noticed my disk drive constantly running and the drive light would flicker about once a second. I ran Process Monitor and found that WMI Provider (wmiprvse.exe) was calling tzres.dll many times a second. I thought this was unusual and searched Google for answers and found only a few that were helpful. Most applied to Windows Server 2008 and WSRM, but I'm not running either one. (Unless WSRM is hiding and I can't find it? But I don't think it's applicable). I also tried the solution found here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/wmi/archive/...l-villain.aspx, but the log info only returns a Client ID = 0, so I can't track it down as they suggest.

Last night I reinstalled Windows 7, but did not perform a clean install, and the problem persists. Windows Security Essentials, SuperAntiSpyware, and Malewarebytes all come back negative.

Any ideas? Please help!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you have any desktop gadgets installed trying uninstalling them one at a time. Start with any that display system resources.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe - thank you for your suggestion, but I do not have any gadgets at all. Do you know of another way to determine what is driving wmiprvse.exe?

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can use free tools such as Process Explorer and Process Monitor to help. They can produce a lot of information. If you use Process Monitor you will want to quickly become acquainted with the filtering available.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It doesn't have to be a gadget that is monitoring system resources. It could be a utility that runs in the background that's part of some other software. Try Autoruns to get a comprehensive look at everything that runs on system startup. Scrutinize everything, even stuff you think you can ignore.

tzres.dll is a time zone resource DLL
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, guys, I'll try these suggestions and let you know!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I still can't figure it out. I've decided not to worry about it since it is using <1% CPU power, and I think the hard drive is usually "flickering" in the background anyway.