Thanks

How to use Windows XP box for backup?

A fellow name Steve said this about keeping an old XP machine around:

"Excellent box to backup to with any type of BU software"

Can you walk me through this process?? My old Dell is connected to my router by ethernet cable, but I don't have any kind of a group set up there. I normally backup to a Seagate FreeAgent Go drive.

Barbara

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    You need to be able to setup a shared folder and see if you can select it as a network location for your backups.

Joe

Thanks
    Barbara,

If you're doing Image Backups and your router is an older 100Mbs model you will probably find that it is way to slow for the job. But if you really want to do it I do this:
    1. Set up an account on the XP machine that has exactly the same Name & Password as your account on the Win 7 machine.
    2. Share a folder on the XP machine for anyone with an account, can't remember the exact terminology but you'll figure it out.
    3. On the Win 7 machine Map that folder to a drive letter, many backup programs don't work with network paths.

You should be ready to go.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The only time you'll find a 100 megabit network limit slow is if you generate a tremendous amount of data as I do, or you continually reproduce all of the data.
    One of my regular back ups is several hundred gigabytes to a very slow-brained NAS drive ( I think it moves along at about 6MB/s top speed) and the only time it was slow was the initial backup (literally took days!!) After that it only backs up, or in my case, synchronizes data that has changed so its relatively much faster after that.

XP is easier to set up than W7 because you have the option of using simple sharing globally, run the network wizard on XP and it will practically walk you through it. Then you just share the drive, give it both read and write privileges, and use any backup or synchronization program that understands network protocols (or you can map drives also as mentioned). I use the free version of Syncback but there's a bunch more to try if that doesn't suit you.

I haven't read the article but the excellent part probably translates to simplicity (W7 would be a completely different story), you can add passwords and duplicate names and such, but ya don't have to do a darn one of them either. Once shared under simple sharing, just find the destination drive in the network and you are in (W7 is excellent at locating all network locations because it ignores workgroups); the only caveat being that third party security and firewall software can put up roadblocks and spoil the day.

Thanks
    I'm taking in this info and will get back to trying it soon, but some other obligations (Called LIFE) are taking the forefront right now!!

Barbara

Thanks
    Life happens!

Happy Holidays!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!