CRT Boy

Saving secure web pages (IE 5.5)

The web pages I want to save are generally from secure sites, such as statements from online brokerages, confirmation pages, etc. Does anyone know of a way to produce a non-paper record of such pages (besides using Print Screen and saving a bitmap)?

None of the Save As options seems to work, nor does Print to File.

One problem seems to be that whether you save as a "Web Page, Complete" or "Web Page Archive", IE still tries to contact the originating web server when loading up the saved files. If it was a secure page you saved, you cannot view it. (Furthermore, I don't want to have to be online to view them later.)

If it was a page that did not have a distinct URL (for example, on a site that uses scripts to dynamically create pages), I ended up getting an archive (mht file) of the site's home page.

Hitting the Print button sends the exact page I want, formatting and all, to the printer. So there must be a way to save the page as a file. "Print to File" does not seem to work. The only file type it allows is prn. The resulting prn file does not seem to open in any graphics, text, or browser app I've tried.

Sorry this post is so long, but I wanted to explain what I've already tried. Any ideas?
    Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Saving secure web pages (IE 5.5)

Do you have Adobe Acrobat? You could try printing to a .pdf file to view later.

CRT Boy

Printing to or saving as a PDF would be great, but how?
    The "Print to File" option produces a file format that doesn't seem to be recognizable to Acrobat. (Or Word, Excel, IE, any graphics apps, etc.)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you don't have Acrobat take a look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=free&Number=54969&page=0&vi ew=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=>this post</A>. FreePDF allows you make your own PDFs. Brian recommends Free PDF here, and I have since successfully downloaded, installed and used it.

(Edited by Leif to sort out URL 30-10-01)