New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Backup settings, preferences, rules etc

i would like to backup a colleague's Outlook 2007 (also 2010) settings, preferences, rules, tweaks and other personalizations as they have quite a few errors and want to reinstall Office.
    They have invested far too many hours in personalizing Outlook that they're willing to live with the errors. (I have read many sites about how to correct them and it seems best to reinstall Office).
    Any suggestions on freeware (or commercial - they're willing to buy an app if they're guaranteed a backup of all their tweaks and what-not) of how to get this done? I'm willing to take the time to reinstall for them as long as they can get their data and personalizations back.Many thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi IconBoy,

Welcome to the Lounge,

Have you tried an Office repair? That would probably be the first attempt I would make and won't affect any of your settings.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post

Have you tried an Office repair? That would probably be the first attempt I would make and won't affect any of your settings.
    yes, i have definitely tried Office Repair a few times. tried different suggestions from Microsoft site as well.
    he has quite a few toolbars installed, so needs a good clean out anyway.thanks for the welcome.
    Last edited by IconBoy; 2011-12-08 at 13:12.

Administrator
    Thanks
    See if this of any use: http://www.sitedeveloper.ws/tutorials/outlook.htm

The file types talked about in the article, may not be located with the pst file. On my Windows 7 computer they are located in c:\users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outloo k.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you ruirib for the link.
    Do you (or anyone else) happen to know of any software that would automate this so everything of importance is backed up?
    Or...a way to back it all up on a daily/weekly basis. Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    I never used one, but a few times I googled to try to help with a problem and I browsed through commercial solutions for Outlook backup. I don't think some of those I have seen will backup everything. Anyway, this is a matter of backing up a few files from two different folders, so even a batch file could do it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/con...-and-dual-boot for a list of files & locations. There are also a couple of tools at the bottom of the list which claim to be Outlook backup tools.

Joe
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-12-09 at 09:40. Reason: fixed the URL