New Lounger
    Thanks

Devices do not reconnect to SSID automatically after reset and reconfig

Recently I reset my Fonera WLAN. I reconfigured it immediately with the same private SSID, security mode (WPA2-PSK) and key. However, when I looked at my notebooks and my smartphone, they were not automatically reconnected to the SSID. Unfortunately I did not take a screenshot, but it showed a red symbol next to the SSID (a red X). My WLAN printer lost the connection, too.

I was under the impression that identical settings on identical hardware should lead to identical results. I expected my network devices to recognize the new settings as the old and reconnect automatically.

Why wasn't this the case?
    Last edited by ttp; 2011-12-08 at 06:28. Reason: language
    Core i7 950 - 12 GB RAM - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit - 128 GB SSD (Crucial)
    MacMini OS X Lion 10.7

And a few old laptops, not worth mentioning because they'll bite the dust soon.

Betamax Apps for Android smartphones

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    What exactly do you mean by "reset"?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    By reset I mean pressing the reset button on the back of the modem in order to set back the router to factory default.
    This way all previous settings are erased.
    MacMini OS X Lion 10.7

Administrator
    Thanks
    It's possible that the change in some other setting, such as channel, may have caused it. I confess I am not aware of the specific information a client uses to determine whether a network previously used is the same and thus connections should be made automatically.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have not changed the channel settings either, not consciously anyway. I may have forgotten about it, but I am fairly certain that I did not do anything of the sort.

I only find info about several AP having the same SSID, even if they are from different manufacturers, so I don't understand why it does not work with the same WiFi router.

I suppose I will have to blame "gremlins".
    MacMini OS X Lion 10.7

Administrator
    Thanks
    I wouldn't say it's gremlins, unless you could be certain that all parameters were exactly the same, after the reset. As I understand from what you wrote, the behavior was common to your notebooks and phone, so it clearly has to do with the way a device identifies a wireless network and something must have changed regarding that, as a result of the reset and reconfiguration process.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You may be right. Now I remember that I did a manual reconfiguration about 8 weeks ago.
    I may have altered parameters in the original configuration that I forgot about.
    The only way of knowing for sure would be to perform another reset. I'll do that on Sunday. This really bugs me.
    MacMini OS X Lion 10.7

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ttp View Post
    You may be right. Now I remember that I did a manual reconfiguration about 8 weeks ago.
    I may have altered parameters in the original configuration that I forgot about.
    The only way of knowing for sure would be to perform another reset. I'll do that on Sunday. This really bugs me.
    Your call, but I wouldn't think about it too much. I would be worried if you had problems reconnecting after the reconfig. Seems you did not, probably after adding the network details again, so all seems to be well .

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

ttp (2011-12-10)