New Lounger
    Thanks

Missing scroll bar – IE8

Missing scroll bar – IE8 on XP SP3; 4:3 LCD monitor; 1024x768 resolution setting

Sometime, in the past week or so, the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the IE8 viewing window disappeared. I did not notice it when it happened. Thus, I do not know what I or my PC were doing at the time. No error messages have been observed recently. Event viewer shows nothing (naturally). Possibly, something could have gotten bollixed up via an IE8 hang and subsequent termination via Task Manager.

I have Googled with no success. The only “fix” found, to use the Reset in Tools/Options, is not an option for me. With IE8 functioning normally otherwise, the price of a Reset is too high for such a minor problem. This is only a minor issue on websites with content extending past the RH edge of the monitor screen.

I have searched the WS Forum also with no success. Apparently it has not been addressed before.

Thoughts or suggestions, anyone?

I presume one solution would be to replace my 4:3 monitor with a 16:9 monitor.

Regards,

Dan R

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Add these CSS properties to your container DIV:
    position: relative;
    overflow: hidden;
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    chowur,

I am not a web site developer/coder. I am just a web surfer. Thus, I do not see how your web page coding suggestion is applicable to my browser issue.

Dan R

Thanks
    Restoring Internet Explorer Scrollbars

Reset Internet Explorer settings to resolve many issues with your Microsoft browser
    Restoring the scrollbars can in most occasions be done quickly and easily, returning your copy of Internet Explorer to full working order.

To proceed, go to your Internet Explorer Tools menu, and select Internet Options
    Next, click on the Advanced tab.
    Depending on your version of Internet Explorer, you will have two options:
    Internet Explorer 6 and earlier:
    Click on the Restore Defaults button and follow the on-screen instructions
    Internet Explorer 7 and 8:
    Click on the Reset... button and follow the subsequent instructions

Various security settings, privacy options, pop-up settings and toolbars and add-ons will all be reset with this option, while information such as home pages, web forms, passwords, history, cookies and temporary Internet files can be removed in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings confirmation dialogue box.

Confirming this command should resolve your scrollbars issue, but note that information can be lost – resort to this option only when your browser is in an unusable state.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    chowur,

Thanks for the tip. That tip is a bit drastic since there are no other issues with my browser at the moment.

FWIW dept. Today I visited a web page that yesterday has text content running off the RH side of the screen. Today the text wraps just fine. No scroll bar needed or visible. And . . . today, on Windows Sercets, the horizontal scroll bar is back!? A possible "fix": The PC had a normal cold start this morning after a normal overnight power down.

So did IE lose it? (Or did I?<g>)

Case closed?

Dan R