4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wnlog - corrupt file

Hi Loungers....ever since Oct, whenever I turn on my computer, I get the following message:

"winlogon.exe - Corrupt file
    The file or directory C:\WINDOWS\Debug\Usermode\userenv.log is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility"

If I click OK, it disappears and reappears..I have to click OK a couple of times and then it lets me log on...and I can use my computer as always.

I have run the CHKDSK utility...doesn't fix it.
    If I go to WINDOWS-DEBUG-USERMODE, I can see a file called userenv.log I can't rename it and can't copy it (always get a message that it can't be renamed or copied b/c it is corrupt & unreadable. It says it was modified on Oct 23, 2011.

I have done a system restore to before Oct 23, 2011 but that doesn't fix it.....I am tempted to delete it (if it will let me) but worried that if I delete it, I may not be able to log in at all (if the file is part of a user profile)............and I have done the usual variety of system checks for malware, adware, viruses etc etc -- all come up empty.

Does anyone have any information or suggestions as to how I can fix this? Thanks.

Thanks
    Try the following steps to replace the corrupt files.
    a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd and click ok.
    b. On the command prompt, type the following and hit enter.
    expand <drive_letter>:\i386\explorer.ex_ <drive_letter>:\Windows\explorer.exe
    expand <drive_letter>:\i386\winlogon.ex_ <drive_letter>:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe
    Note: <drive_letter> is the letter of the drive where Windows XP is loaded.
    c. If prompted to replace the files, then confirm to replace them.
    d. Restart the computer and check the difference.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The userenv.log is typically not enabled in retail versions of Windows. It is used in debugging user environment issues. You can try deleting it by using a tool such as PendMoves to remove it at the next boot. Also see How to enable user environment logging for the registry entry which causes this file to be created.

Once the file is removed, I suggest you do a thorough malware scan.

Joe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2011-12-11)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all...thanks for your help....I was able to do the following to fix this problem, altho I am not sure exactly what it is that did the trick....I had run a CHKDSK but this did not correct or fix the corrupt and unreadable file (userenv.log). So, I started in SAFE mode again and this time, I went to C:\WINDOWS\Debug\Usermode\userenv.log and renamed the userenv.log file as userenv.bak Then, I rebooted and it re-created userenv.log and everything was fixed.....not sure why but it worked.

Administrator
    Thanks
    When you boot into safe mode many normal things are not initialized. Evidently debugging the user environment is one of those. The file was not in use by Windows so you could rename it.

Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

dmcnab (2011-12-11)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe....is it even I file that I (or the computer) needs? I recall seeing a couple of posts that said the file isn't needed for ordinary, everyday computing....what do you think?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe....is it even I file that I (or the computer) needs? I recall seeing a couple of posts that said the file isn't needed for ordinary, everyday computing....what do you think?

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you have the User Profile Hive Cleanup service running that could be the reason you get the file. Since the file was re-created deleting it will do no good. It will just be re-created at the next normal boot.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What is the Hive Cleanup service? Do I need it, or if not, how do I shut it off.....I am on a network at my office and I also have 'work' VPN on my computer, so if I shut off the Hive Cleanup and deleted userenv.log, will that impair my access or use of the network?

Administrator
    Thanks
    It was supplied as part of a hotfix a number of years ago to resolve shut down hangs in XP. If it is running I'd recommend you leave it alone and not worry about the file.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Will do...thank you again.