Thread: SeaMonkey

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I get a number of newsletters from various sources, this one for a very long time, Scot Finney's, Kim Kommando's, etc. In Kim's last one, she highly recommends SeaMonkey - SeaMonkey is a great all-in-one tool. It's a Web browser built on code similar to that running Firefox. But it also integrates an e-mail client, RSS reader and chat program. She says it also functions as an HTML editor. I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience with SeaMonkey and what that experience might be? Good, bad, indifferent? I normally use FF almost exclusively, but have, of course IE, and have used Chrome - though I got rid of it for some reason, I think because I don't trust Google with all that information, and Opera though not for some time now.

So any opinions on SeaMonkey? Thanks for sharing. :^) gene

Thanks
    I looked at it once, about a year or so ago and because really only need an email client and a web browser, the rest was extra baggage for me so I set it aside for now. At the time I was evaluating my options for vacating MS Office. I have settled on Thunderbird and Firefox for these functions, for now anyway.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's basically the continuation/renaming of the full Mozilla Suite. Developed by Mozilla, runs on Mozilla's Gecko engine - as does Firefox.. The suite also has a built in Mail application, WYSIWYG/HTML Composer, IRC, and Newsreader.

Lounger
    Thanks

Seamonkey no ka oi

It is my preferred platform. End of story.

I use several different machines of varying sizes, vintages, etc.
    Use different versions of Windows, Linux.
    There is nothing worse than having to bring up a browser, then the email, then your address book etc.
    everything is right at hand and I don't have to worry what system I'm using. They all work the same.

I find Both Foxfire and Thunderbird unnecessarily clumsy. Book marking pages is much slower and clumsier.
    as for security, updates and plug-ins foxfire and seamonkey are very hard to tell apart. They tend to use the same modules. At least that is true for Fedora. The 'unofficial' flash viewer is the same module set.

The only difference is I let Seamonkey do updates under Windows. In Fedora, I only accept updates from fedora sources. In a way it is a better security policy. In Fedora I only accept signed updates from a trusted source. In windows, who knows.

btw Seamonkey is the old Mozilla Suite http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SeaMonkey

New Lounger
    Thanks
    SeaMonkey 2.3.3 is the default browser you want if you run a home office, write, research, or for the convenience of browser, email, address book, html composer, and IRC chat in one application. Old folk in my family prefer it (I'm 68 and a youngun) and most only have it, plus IE. With the Lightning extension, calendar, it becomes Outlook lite. You can schedule events and tasks easily from emails you receive with a click or two. You can configure alarms and other programs associated with the task or event. You may choose from many extensions for SeaMonkey, but it has good cookie, image, popup, data, password, and download managers so most folk dont need extensions for these. I have BBCodeXtra, BetterPrivacy, NoScript, WOT, Display Mail User Agent, Certificate Patrol. Ghostery, Addon Update Checker, ChatZilla, Adblock Plus.

SeaMonkey is my default, but I also use Google Chrome, K-Meleon, Mozilla Firefox, and IE 8 (XP Pro SP3). All the browsers except K-Meleon I use multiple home pages one browser for tech, one for music and literature, one for history, and so on; K-Meleon opens to a good online dictionary, but I have WordWeb Pro locally installed.

SeaMonkey uses less ram than the combo Firefox/Thunderbird.

I am amazed that few home computer folk use SeaMonkey. It is the ideal internet application for the average home user, or for the general home office. If you only choose one, that one if SeaMonkey will simplify and enrich your computing experience. Yeah, I am a confirmed and convinced SeaMonkey user. Firefox and Thunderbird are good, but SeaMonkey does what they do,and more, with more convenience and ease.
    saint satin stain
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing. – Emo Philips

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using it since Netscape died but lately I am having a problem where it dies - it blows me out of email for no apparent reason and no logical pattern. I ger an error message and have yet to understand why.