Lounger
    Thanks

Question IE9 replaces exe extension with zip

When I use my laptop running Win7 and IE9 to download a file from a particular website the extension displayed for the link is zip and the file cannot be found. OTOH, if I try to download the file with Firefox 8 the extension displayed for the link is exe and the file downloads successfully. Similarly, if I use IE8 on my XP desktop I have no problem downloading the exe file. What is causing the exe extension to be replaced by zip when I use IE9? I'm using NIS 2011 on both computers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klugherz View Post
    When I use my laptop running Win7 and IE9 to download a file from a particular website the extension displayed for the link is zip and the file cannot be found.
    I haven't used IE9, but historically IE has sniffed the beginning of a download to ascertain the "correct" file type and suggest the matching extension. This didn't affect the ability of IE to save the file. Are you getting an error from the server that the file can't be found, or is it just not appearing in your downloads folder (or other designated location)?

Lounger
    Thanks
    It turns out that the "file cannot be found" message was due to a problem with the website. Now, when I use IE9, the zip file is downloaded. With Firefox or IE8 I get the exe. I was told by the owner of the website that IE9 would prevent the exe file from being downloaded. Consequently, when they detect that I'm using IE9 they offer the zip file rather than the exe. Does this all make sense?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    I have just downloaded an updated winzip 16.0 installation file with IE 9 and it's an .exe. It's not the first .exe that I download, either. This means that I don't think IE would balk at the .exe file. What they say is possible, though. They can detect your browser and offer different downloads depending on that. Just make sure the zip has only what you want.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klugherz View Post
    I was told by the owner of the website that IE9 would prevent the exe file from being downloaded.
    That could be, or at least you might get a warning bar. Perhaps that was causing too many support issues.

Thanks
    I had a similar problem when I used Zone Alarm..
    It would re-name attachemnts with a ZLT extension and I never knew what the original extension was.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    I had a similar problem when I used Zone Alarm..
    It would re-name attachemnts with a ZLT extension and I never knew what the original extension was.
    Sorry, NOT similar at all. Zone Alarm changes the extension as a way of quarrantining the file.

The OP's IE9 .exe /.zip problem is not related. ~RonR