Star Lounger
    Thanks

Select Outline Levels With Keyboard In Word 2010?

Hi,

After literally -20- years using a DOS outliner program (Grandview) I am forcing myself to try to use Word 2010 Outliner. (BOY do I hate Word 2010 so far but that's another rant.)

I am trying to select outline 'levels' using keyboard shortcut and I can't figure out how to do it. It seems like one needs to use the mouse to select a the 'pluses' and 'minuses'.

Is this possible? If so, -how-?

TIA,

---JC

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can change outline levels by typing Alt-Shift-Left Arrow and Alt-Shift-Right Arrow.

If you want to move selected paragraphs up or down, try Alt-Shift-Up Arrow or Alt-Shift-Down Arrow
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Right, but can you -select- an outline level with the keyboard. What drives me nuts is having to take my fingers of the keyboard and grab the mouse ot -select- the outline level I want to move.

Anyone?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You don't need to select it to move it using the keyboard commands I listed.

If you want to select a paragraph without the mouse then you could try Ctrl-Up Arrow to put the cursor at the start of the paragraph then Ctrl-Shift-Down Arrow to select the paragraph.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, it's not the same thing. I wish it was. I do appreciate your efforts, though. I used to use a program called 'Grandview' that was -exactly- what I want. There's no Outlining program for Windows which is worth a hang. Ya need a keystroke shortcut to move whole sections around.

Thanks,

---JC

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I assume that you want to move a parent item and all its children in outline view.

Your keyboard method choices are:
    1. Select the relevant tree structure and use the Alt-Shift-Arrow Up or Down
    or
    2. Collapse the tree so you can only see the parent (Alt-Shift-Underline) and then use the Alt-Shift-Arrow options

Your third option is to continue to use Grandview or one of its purpose-designed competitors such as http://www.sainsoftware.com/

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy I am an ex-Grandview user too

I am an ex-Grandview user too, and have been looking for a Windows workalike for years. I got Grandview to run on VMWare Workstation 7 once, but upgraded to WS 8, and it did not work anymore. Went back to WS 7 but don't remember how I got it to work.

Grandview was so intuitive, and really enables one to think and outline at the same time. I even did an entire corporate new business development proposal for presentation to the chairman of the parent company as a Grandview outline--he loved it--it was very logically presented, no bells and whistles--just the points. I did my best writing with GV.

Don't understand why nobody has ported GV over to Windows yet. I don't have the technical ability. The Word outlining is just no comparison to GV. What a writer wants is something keyboard based.

I will give it another try with VMWare Workstation.

Otherwise, I am thinking about setting up an old laptop with DOS 6.22, and may even try to fire up the old 486 machine (which I still have--don't know if it still works--the spiders may have taken it over), or even the IBM PC/XT--that's how much I wish I had the use of GV again.

I am planning to do some substantial writing in the immediate future, so have been seeking viable alternatives. Will give Sainsoftware a try.