Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    qaz

VLC player causes freezing

hi all
    i have found that VLC media player causes my pc to almost freeze, by that i mean that mouse movements are extremely slow, and opening menues or windows task manager take about 5 mins..

if i manage the close VLC [in processes tab, task manager] everything returns to normal

the freeze happens when playing video sometimes

thanx
    mark

Thanks
    Hi Mark,
    have you installed the latest drivers for your Motherboard, Display & Audio. A good 'Codec' pack may also help, I suggest K Lite.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    With the VLC player if you have the latest version installed you should not need any additional codecs.
    Before you do anything else un-install VLC re-boot then install the latest version that you download from here.
    Last edited by RussB; 2011-12-10 at 15:57.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

qaz
    i got the latest version last week but didn't restart computer before install. does this make a difference?. i also have recent k lite codecs pack

Thanks
    I got rid of all other codecs, installed VLC player, and have not had any more problems or found a media file that will not play. YMMV I'm running a quad core CPU with 4Gig RAM, Win7 Pro 64 bit.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

qaz
    i got the latest version last week but didn't restart computer before install. does this make a difference?. i also have recent k lite codecs pack

does this make a difference?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=qaz;832232]

qaz,
    Hello... Do you have Nvidia Graphics on your PC?
    Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

qaz
    i have a
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    i have a
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
    qaz,
    Hello... I have had similar "Freeze" problems also what i have done is the following

1. Right click on a blank area of your desktop and select "Nvidia Control panel"

2. Select "Manage 3D settings"

3. Select "Global Settings" and set to Prefer Maximum Performance...

4.Then select Program Settings and do the same for each program listed (from drop down)

5. Once this is done and you still have the problem ...Find the oldest Nvidia version (driver) you can. I'm using one for my Windows 7 \ 64 Pro from 2007... 191.07... This is the only one that works without the problem for my PC ( don't know why ) Also you must un-install the previous version first ...This can be tricky as your PC will revert to the on board drivers and who knows what screen resolution... Suggest that you do a backup Image first before trying this last step. Have the new (old) driver downloaded ( not installed) before you try this. Post Back with questions ...Before ...as I'm sure that there will be a few. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

qaz
    maybe a difference version as it does not allow me to follow ur instructions but at "3. Select "Global Settings" and set to Prefer Maximum Performance" i have changed to "performance" where it is an option [each one separately] have also moved slider to "performance"

cant carry out "4.Then select Program Settings and do the same for each program listed (from drop down)" as "performance" is not an option for all or most of the programs, plus i don't have any of those programs, so is it important?

thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    maybe a difference version as it does not allow me to follow ur instructions but at "3. Select "Global Settings" and set to Prefer Maximum Performance" i have changed to "performance" where it is an option [each one separately] have also moved slider to "performance"

cant carry out "4.Then select Program Settings and do the same for each program listed (from drop down)" as "performance" is not an option for all or most of the programs, plus i don't have any of those programs, so is it important?

thanks
    qaz,
    Hello... What version of Nvidia do you have? ...Nvidia control panel>Help>System Information will show what version you have ...Also could you post a "Screen Shot" of your Nvidia Panel? AS every version of Nvidia i have tried has basically the same one.I'm not understanding "don't have any of those programs" the drop down shows only programs that you have, (mostly all Windows stuff) See Screen Shot .Regards Fred
    PlainFred

qaz
    under: program settings> under select a program to override: they are all games [not mine]
    version is 1.2.1.11.

below are first and second screens

qaz

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    qaz,
    Your Screen Shots are not there.. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Hello Fred & qaz,

Try this method to insert images, it also works for adding files. Quick Reply Image.pdf
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast