2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Live Mail does not warn before closing

Hello. I just noticed last night that I had a letter I was composing and I got distracted and forgot about it and I ending up logging off my account because of some minor issue I was having. A couple moments later, I realised that I lost the letter I was in the middle of composing and wondered why the heck WLM or Win7 didn't prompt me to save my work before logging off? I went into WLM settings and didn't see anything that would allow me to turn that option on or off. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Gomek,
    If, in the future you intend composing a long email, use notepad to do it, saving it before closing, then opening to continue writing. When completed, paste it into your new mail.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    You could also save your letter as a draft before leaving. then come back and open the draft copy:

SaveMailasDraft.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

I appreciate the advice, but I was thinking that windows performed the "do you want to save" before logging off or shuting off, but I rarely do this so not a big deal.

Thanks
    I believe if you choose to close an app and have not saved work in progress, you get this question. I am not sure why when you log off Windows you do not get the same question. I have found over the years that, due to numerous times of forgetting to save my work regularly, I had to condition myself to hit save regularly when doing anything but simple, small tasks. You never know when a power outage will hit, or some other equally bad thing might happen. Most of the newer apps from MS have an autosave setting you can set to different intervals. I am not sure if WLM has or not.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Gomek (2011-12-11)

Thanks
    The short answer is no, WLM does not...Only if you close the new email you've started to compose from within the client will it ask
    if you want to save it.
    Try an office suit instead that can be set up and configured to save.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-12-11 at 07:52.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Gomek (2011-12-11)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a quick note before closing this issue. I totally agree that anything can happen, but my contingency plan is having a good quality UPS being the lightning capital of North America and having an exteral HD next to my bed in case it hits the fan and I need to escape with my life I can grab the HD and run. I know there's other options but I'm using the poor man's Cabonite. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I believe if you choose to close an app and have not saved work in progress, you get this question. I am not sure why when you log off Windows you do not get the same question. I have found over the years that, due to numerous times of forgetting to save my work regularly, I had to condition myself to hit save regularly when doing anything but simple, small tasks. You never know when a power outage will hit, or some other equally bad thing might happen. Most of the newer apps from MS have an autosave setting you can set to different intervals. I am not sure if WLM has or not.