3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Buying Software: New vs. Used

I didn't know where else to post this question, so I put it here.

I have downloaded a trial copy of Adobe Acrobat Pro X. I will need to purchase it in the next several weeks before the trial runs out if I want to keep it. I see on Amazon, e.g., that I can buy a used copy of this product for much less than a new one. I'm guessing this is just the sale of the license key and it will work as well as a "new" license key. Am I missing anything?

As a follow up, I think that i just need Adobe Acrobat Standard X. I've seen the product comparisons, but does anyone have any experience with the two products on what Pro does that Std. does not?

Thanks.

WSC

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    There are several things to consider. The reputation of the seller. If what is being sold is an upgrade license that may not work on a new install. Read the description of what is being offered very carefully.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good advice. It's via Amazon and it advertizes as a full purchase.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Generally when something used sold on Amazon it is a third party seller.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is, but I'd look to Amazon to guarantee it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Every software vendor has different licensing requirements. Because of this, buying used software can be iffy when it comes to licenses.

Adobe is particularly difficult, and like many vendors, require activation of their products. They do allow for transfer of ownership, but they put it on the original owner to make the transfer. So if you choose to buy used, contact the seller and ask them if they are willing to transfer the license and do all of the non-sense that goes with it. Here's a link to their transfer policy: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/152/tn_15281.html

You might want to look at the upgrade path option. Buy a full copy of the latest version, but make sure its the upgrade copy, which always costs substantially less. Then buy an older used copy that is eligible for the upgrade. You don't have to install or activate the older copy, just drop it in the DVD drive when the new install is looking for a qualified version to upgrade from.
    Last edited by Doc Brown; 2011-12-12 at 15:29.
    Chuck

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The one for sale at Amazon is from someone with volume licenses to dispose of that are already registered with adobe. These are extra licenses. The purchase includes download content on a cd and key code. What do you think?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This doesn't sound right. Volume licenses are registered to a single entity and are discounted to the original purchaser based on the number purchased. Hence the term "volume license". You're call, but if I was looking for a cheap path into Adobe products, I'd be scouring E-bay for a used copy and checking the price of the upgrade on Amazon.
    Chuck

Thanks
    A friend, called me one day and said that a program he'd purchased on-line with a lic. key was getting a message that it had been registered with a Corporate key that had been pirated and was no longer legal.

So there he was, with a program that he had paid good money for, that would no longer work.

I don't know what the percentage would be, but obviously there are people selling Pirated Software over the internet.

I'd not go there.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!