New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2010 SP1 (32-bit) fails to install

Although Microsoft came out with SP1 for Office 2010 some months ago, it would seem that only recently has it been moved to being an"important" update which my update settings would have downloaded and installed automatically. Perhaps it has downloaded but its install has failed now some 20 times since September 2011. All other updates have installed seemlessly. In trying a manual install of SP1, I get the error message: " Error occurs while running detection". I am on a Dell Studio 1558 with Windows 7 (64-bit) and Office preinstalled (I have no cd of either, not unusual for Dell I understand). Searching the web for a solution, I find nothing that works for certain, not even from Microsoft. There would appear to no posting on this forum about this matter to date either, yet I know its a problem for more than just me. Any ideas?

On a separate but perhaps not unrelated, I note that although I have Office 2010 Home and Business edition activated, I have Office 2010 Professional (trial version expired) on my computer. Question: if I uninstall the professional version will it just uninstall those programs not part of the Home and Business edition? Could this "confusion" be an issue?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge.

I'd say that it cannot be ruled out that your expired trial is behind your issues. I would back everything up and remove the Pro version. Likely that will affect Home & Business, but if you have the key, you can probably use that key with a trial version Home & Business version downloaded from Microsoft.

Be sure to backup your system before doing anything, to make sure you can get back to where you are if something goes wrong.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I removed the components of the Office 2010 Professional version (a very easy process) and restarted my computer. No longer does any mention of a trial version appear.

I tried the manual install again with the same "error occurs while running detection". Windows update now flagged new updates available, Office 2010 SP1. When following that route to install through Windows Update (as opposed to the install upon shutdown route which continues to fail), I received a Code 8007066F Unknown Error which nothing Microsoft offered resolves.

In looking to Microsoft for help, as I am in Canada, it suggests I cannot get help with my product except by going through the paid route. I cannot find a similar problem mentioned on Microsoft forums. Still stymied.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried an Office repair?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No I hadn't until you suggested it. It worked. Thanks!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Great .