Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot save home DVD movies onto hard drive

I hope I am in the right place. I recently recorded my son's choir concert using a Panasonic VDR-D50 DVD Video Camera and the camera came with VideoCam Suite 1.0 for the editing software. For the life of me, I cannot get the recordings copied to my hard drive in a format that can be shared with our family via email, Facebook, etc. They are saved in a .VOB format and I cannot change it. I tried playing the concert on the TV and recording it onto a new DVD, but that didn't work either. I tried using the Windows Movie Maker, but each recording is cut to only about one minute.

Am I totally missing something? Is there a free, easy program that I can use to solve this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    -Troy

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A homemade VOB movie file should be relatively easy to handle. So I take by the name of the camera that it records directly to DVD and I'm also going to assume that the video length of any one vob file is less than 90 minutes.

Have you tried putting the DVD in the optic drive of the computer and just using Windows Explorer to view the files? You should be able to see and copy the video vob file from the DVD as is to your hard drive. Then try changing the vob extension to mpg and then see if WMM handles it better.

Alternatively, FormatFactory is a good free converter that works with Windows 2K; should be able to convert the vob file(s) to whatever format and quality level you need/want.

Thanks
    Hi Troy,
    First, you need to rip the files from dvd disc to your hdd in AVI format. Not all dvd to tv players can read VOB files not on a dvd disc.
    As to sending them to friends via email will not work, as the file will be too large.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    VLC player wshould read the VOB files.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-12-11 at 17:50.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Infinicore, FormatFactory worked great. That is exactly what I needed. Thanks so much!!!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tmg9671 View Post
    I hope I am in the right place. I recently recorded my son's choir concert using a Panasonic VDR-D50 DVD Video Camera and the camera came with VideoCam Suite 1.0 for the editing software. For the life of me, I cannot get the recordings copied to my hard drive in a format that can be shared with our family via email, Facebook, etc. They are saved in a .VOB format and I cannot change it. I tried playing the concert on the TV and recording it onto a new DVD, but that didn't work either. I tried using the Windows Movie Maker, but each recording is cut to only about one minute.

Am I totally missing something? Is there a free, easy program that I can use to solve this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    -Troy
    I am using Pinnacle Studio (for many years now) You will capture your video,- from the camera to -AVI file, Edit, and burn to, File, Disk, etc
    Harv