Thread: Dvds won't play

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dvds won't play

Dell laptop pretty new. No previous difficulty. Windows 7. Today I put in a DVD that has worked fine before and I get a message saying a file has gone missing so DVD can't be played. Tried a different DVD same result. Tried Windows Media player and Real Player but no joy. Any ideas welcome??
    Brinton

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brinton View Post
    Any ideas welcome??
    brinton,
    Hello and Welcome to W.S.Lounge..If you insert the CD\DVD and using Windows Explorer... Right Click on your CD\DVD RW ...If you don't have Auto Play enabled you can choose "Open With" and choose your player ...also set to use this as "Default" when playing your DVD's... Post back if this does not work. You might have to reset your "Associations" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Brinton,

Try going into Device Manager and Uninstalling the DVD drive and then reboot to let Windows rediscover the device. It seems I need to do this each time Windows Update does it's thing on my Dell 530 Desktop.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I agree with RG. There are times for whatever reason that drivers are lost with CD/DVD devices. I have this happen periodically on mine as well. Once you delete and let Windows discover and reinstall, perhaps the drive manufacturer has new drivers you can instll Just go to the manufacturer web site and check for your model.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who replied. I tried the 'open with' route and chose MS Media Player and it worked. It had been going to Real Player before. Why real Player is being snotty I mdon't know but I'll cross that bridge etc..................... Thanks again all
    brinton

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Why real Player is being snotty I don't know but I'll cross that bridge etc..................... Thanks again all
    brinton,
    Hello...Sometimes 3rd party "Apps" when installing, set them self as the default.. I have only heard bad things about "Real Player" so have never used it ... The two that i do use are "Winamp" lite, and WMP...I'm sure others have their own reasons and you might start another thread for some opinions. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Thanks to all who replied. I tried the 'open with' route and chose MS Media Player and it worked. It had been going to Real Player before. Why real Player is being snotty I mdon't know but I'll cross that bridge etc..................... Thanks again all
    brinton
    Real Player, as noted by JustPlain Fred, does tend to take over the chores of DVD pllayback. And it doesn't even do a good job of playing back DVDs which are not movies or music. Also, RealPlayer does phone home with all kinds of personal information about what's on your computer, so I classify it as spyware. I do not trust any products from RealNetworks. VLC Player will play back almost anything RealPlayer will play, and it does not phone home in the ways which RealPlayer does. Less "auto-updating" background activities, too.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-12-16 at 00:53.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks
    I have deleted Real Player
    B

Thanks
    Good Boy!

Now download and install the correct version of "K-Lite Codec Pack". It will allow Windows Media Player to play just about everything.
    During the install, you will need to select ALL video and ALL audio types.
    I keep three versions on my Utilities CD. (XP, Vista and Win-7)

I use this codec pack and install it for all my customers who use Audio/Video playback.

Once the Codec Pack is installed, you can UN-Install all other players.
    Real Player has been a real PITA for many years. I delete it wherever I find it.

The K-Lite Codecs are updated regularly like any decent AV or AS program.
    It's good to keep things like this updated on a regular schedule.
    If you get the "File Hippo" updates, they will keep you up to date on many programs.
    I get their latest updates every evening via email.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Doc
    All done
    B