Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Wink nitro PDF Pro 6 Free with PC Pro this month

I have been looking for some software for scanning various documents into PDF format and was delighted to find nitro PDF Pro 6 free on this months PC Pro cover CD. It has good reviews and I have been very impressed with it so far (I'm not easily impressed). Definitely worth a look. It's quite powerful and uses the latest ribbon style toolbars so as you would guess it is designed to integrate well with Office.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    VueScan from http://www.hamrick.com/ is far and away the best scanner software. I got so $#*&^% off with Hewlett Packard buggy software that I went to this on my XP machine, as well as my Windows 7. It 's fast, flexible and works every time. I did the trial thing and liked it so I bought it. Free upgrades are available for a period of time until you're asked to pay for them. I never have and it works flawlessly.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RG I also liked PaperPort in it's old iteration, but now, it came bundled with my Brother mfc, and it is AWFUL I am using Irfan Viewer mostly now but haven't scanned to it yet. Not sure if it will even work well so I am interested in the conclusion that may be reached here. Current paperport actually creates a folder for EVERY scan. no matter what I did, so I abandoned it still looking for something better.
    Joel

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve823 View Post
    I have an older Epson scanner and when I moved to Win7 there were no drivers for it. So I too, got Hamrick's VueScan software. I bought the professional version and like it very much. Works great!
    Did the Hamrick software include the drivers? Without drivers none of the software would work.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello!

This is a very interesting thread. Reading all the posts I wondered why nobody mentioned SILVERFAST which IMHO is superior to VueScan. At least if you consider Silverfast's options to edit during the procedure of scanning as important features.

I never heard of VueScan before, dl'ed the trial - and bought the Pro version a few minutes later. Vuescan is by far better than all the bundled software usually coming along with sanners - except Silverfast :-)

Admittedly Silverfast is very expensive and always sold in versions for specific scanners. Means you need to upgrade or buy a new software version every time you change the hardware.

If you own a good scanner, not longer supported for new OS versions by the manufacturer, VueScan is THE solution for you.
    Yesterday I connected an old Microtek X12USL scanner to my Win 7 x64 computers, installed VueScan 9 and confirmed installation of the drivers included in VueScan. 2 Minutes and I was done, verything worked fine! VueScan supports > 1500 scanner models. See the list here: http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#supported

The only thing I didn't like was that VueScan installs to C:\ VueScan w/o asking.

Happy holiday season for everybody!
    Last edited by Juergen; 2011-12-21 at 09:09.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hamerick's VueScan saved me a bundle when Cannon had no software or drivers for my Cannon LiDE 30, to help me when I migrated to Windows 7 (64 bit). However, VueScan had no difficulty recognizing and using the the LiDE 30. Check their web site; it looks as if their software will run on a couple of hundred different scanners.

Lounger
    Thanks

Need scanner software including edit facility

I have a monster project. There is about 30,000 pages of genealogy notes.Copy of pages originally hand written 1900-1955
    Copy done in early 80's Pages still quite readable
    Paper slightly discolored from age

From what I read in this thread, there's a lot of great knowledge and experience with scanners here. And I do need some advice.

Below is a short write-up of what I believe I need in scanner software. I curently have an HP PSC 950 all-in-one and I have a system with WindowsME, another with WindowsXP, another with Vista and this system with Windows7.

The operation that I envision is scan a page, add descriptions to be indexed and page number for a second index. Edit out black left by copy machine, add some text, save the document and continue thru 30,000 pages.

With your knowledge, can you suggest a package that seems to give me what I list below? And if you know a scanner particularly good with this type of input, I'd like to hear about that.

When a scan session is started, enter the beginning page number and allow user to display that record and then continue displaying next, previous or by page number. If the intended page does not exist, allow the user to specify a page number or go into scan/edit.

Need to scan a page and display it, display page number index, allow entry of one to 5 description lines and each line is a single entry to a description index. Do not index blank description lines. Input page is 8.5" wide by 11" top to bottom. Must be able to crop and move selected areas (including descriptions, page number, any thing added and any scanned information) to a different location. Recorded image display format is scanned page followed by about .5 inch blank line followed by 1st line of description leftmost and page number and alpha suffix about .5 inch from right-most margin and then up to 4 lines of description.

Page number is 5 digits which will increment by 1 after each page is saved. A few pages will have in the 6th position (right most) an alpha character suffix entered by person doing the scan. Must be able to change the page number before the scan is saved and the entered page number will be incremented by 1 as the page is saved.

Need the ability to mouse a square or oblong of any size and have it cleared and then I can enter text or leave it blank. Need the background cleaned up a bit and approval for each place. Must be able to select an area and have the program sharpen all characters, shapes, etc within the selected area.

Need the ability to delete a page with it’s changes and re-scan so that editing can be redone.

Color and OCR not used in this project.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rdinning View Post
    I use a program called PMView as both my scanner software and my picture viewer/editor. It still uses the original scanner drivers that are Twain compliant.

I have found there are some tricks to getting the scans I want. Maybe the main one would solve your problem. That is to set the resolution to at least two or even three times the resolution you plan to use for the scanned file. For example for normal text readability 300x300 is usually enough for comfortable reading. But if you scan at that resolution you probably will not be able to read the result. Instead, scan at 600x600 or even 900x900 and then using picture editing software, reduce the scanned image down to 300x300. This will produce a very neat crisp scan that is completely readable.

If scanning a glossy magazine page at say 600x600 the scan always comes out with stripes. Instead scan at say 1200x1200 or even 2400x2400 and then reduce the result down to the 600x600 you need. The ugly stripes will disappear and you will have an almost perfect scan.

Why it works this way I can't tell you, but it always gives good results.

I hope that helps.
    When scanning glossy originals, I insert a piece of artist's matte acrylic sheeting between the scanner glass and the original. This product is available from art supply stores or some photography stores, or online.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

Page Length

How can I set the proper page length in these scanning softwares?
    As far as I can see, the maximum page length is the letter format: 11 inch.
    I am using A-4 paper which has a length of about 11.65 inch.
    Anyone any idea?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have also recently acquired a Canon 9000F with which I plan to digitize my office. This will include many formats of data ranging from ordinary letter-sized paper documents to 35mm negatives and color slides. The documents are a combination of text, tabular data and pictures, randomly mixed. Oh, and there are also quite a few photographs from the more than half-century before digital cameras.

From the above discussion it sounds like Vuescan will do most of what I need but OCR is a must and what about the 35mm stuff? Will Canon's software suffice or will I need something better? Admittedly, I haven't had time to really get to know this thing yet so I welcome any comments/suggestions from the more experienced among you.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    > ....it sounds like Vuescan will do most of what I need but OCR is a must

For OCR ABBYY Fine Reader Pro might be what you want.
    As for 35 mm film I can't recommend from own experience. There's some cheap hardware on the market but I would not expect great results.
    AFAIK the Nikon film scanners are good but very expensive.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I downloaded the trial version of Scanitto Pro and found it much better than the Canon stuff and have decided to keep it. Thanks for the tip.

New Lounger
    Thanks

VueScan 9 includes ocr

Thunderbill,
    VueScan 9 may be all that you need.

I am not sure of its quality but VueScan 9 includes ocr.
    Download the trial and try it on your documents.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Scanning is very much down to the hardware, and it's relatively easy to produce good image scans these days.

OCR is another matter. MS provides some tools, but there are free apps that can do the job, as well as the web sites already quoted.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Scanitto Pro does, in my view, a much better OCR job than does the software that came with Canon LiDE 210 scanner.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast