Thanks

What's your favorite IM app?

I'd like to add instant messaging capability to my laptop. There seems to be a huge selection of apps to choose from. I remember using Trillian a long time ago. What are your favorites and/or recommendations?

Thanks all.
    Artie

P.S. This is on a 64-bit Win7 machine.

P.S.S. I may be asking the wrong question. What I want to do is "text" to friends cell phones from my laptop. Is that even something that instant messaging can do?
    Last edited by artied2; 2016-08-22 at 11:19.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by artied2 View Post
    I remember using Trillian a long time ago.
    Me too. I don't do texting, but I know Trillian is still a top app in the IM/text arena, and installs as a PC program--so you should probably give it a test run.

What I want to do is "text" to friends cell phones from my laptop. Is that even something that instant messaging can do?
    I know there are ways to use email to send texts, and these are some sites I've seen mentioned from which you can message directly:
    aFreeSms.com
    txtDrop NA
    txtDrop International
    yakedi Oz-NZ

I haven't used any of these, so you might want to check the Security forum here before trying them. I imagine a desktop solution should be preferable to an online one.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607, Office 2016 (via Office 365 Personal) x32

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600; Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you can be satisfied with email speeds, then read this page at Computer Hope.
    How to send free text or SMS messages online or from computer
    Please, keep in mind that while sending a text message with these services is free, receiving them may not be.