Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    What kind of compatibility does vuescan have with linux for document scanning?
    Last edited by satrow; 2013-09-05 at 04:41.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Vuescan and Linux

I only have a little experience with Ubuntu from a couple or 5 years or so ago. But as I recall Vuescan worked great with Ubuntu Linux. The install was fairly straight forward, as I recall, you just unzip it move it to where you want it to live and double click to run. Of course you can make a shortcut anywhere you want or even add it to the menu. The real win is that I have never had a scanner with Linux drivers, but since Vuescan has all of that built in I did not have to. Vuescan just worked, easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Add to all of that the ability to create custom color profiles for scanners and printers, you have to buy an it8 target separately for around $30, but for $110 you get the ability to profile scanners and printers. This is nowhere near pro-quality, I assume, I could be wrong, but I would say it will get you 75% of the way there and you will be very pleased with the results. If you like your current scanner output now you will really love it after profiling. Profiling makes the color pop in a good way.

Also, it has a free trial so give it a go and if you do not like it, then no harm done!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All,

I just joined this forum, found it to be interesting and informative. I hope I'm posting in the right thread. Mods, please move if incorrect.
    Here's my situation - I need to scan around 2 million documents into PDF and index based on the bar code printed on them. I would be using Kodak Scanners and the only software I have tried is Kodak Capture Pro Trial which is insanely expensive to buy. Any other alternatives someone could recommend? Appreciate the help.

Star Lounger E Pericoloso Sporgersi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fantomvivi View Post
    Hi All,

I just joined this forum, found it to be interesting and informative. I hope I'm posting in the right thread. Mods, please move if incorrect.
    Here's my situation - I need to scan around 2 million documents into PDF and index based on the bar code printed on them. I would be using Kodak Scanners and the only software I have tried is Kodak Capture Pro Trial which is insanely expensive to buy. Any other alternatives someone could recommend? Appreciate the help.
    Er ... I'm confused.

Assuming you work alone and
    it takes 30 seconds per document to scan (which is optimistic I think),
    you work 8 hours per day,
    you work 5 days per week,
    you work 40 weeks per year.

Then to scan 2,000,000 documents you'll need 10.41 YEARS.

IDBoF_sig.gif
    E Pericoloso Sporgersi
    "It is Dangerous to Lean Out! [of Windows]"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Understand the confusion; I should have been more clear.
    Firstly, it's not just me, but a team of 10 people who'd be scanning. Secondly, we use high speed scanners capable of collectively doing 50,000 pages per day. So that gives us a TAT of 40 days.

30 seconds per document? That must be a really slow scanner. We're talking about scanners capable of 50 to 70 pages per minute.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Red face More detail

I am wanting to scan both photos and documents to CD in order to create a searchable database not subject to the same sorts of deterioration
    over time that paper suffers. There is not an insurmountable amount, but still there is quite a bit, and the ability to have the photos in pretty
    good shape would be good, efficiency would be good, cheap would be good, but from my perspective, compatibility with multiple computers is
    required, so that either the requisite software could be resident on the CD or they would already had the requisite software on their computer
    just because it's a PC to access the information. I have a pretty good free data base manager that I could use to file the stuff, but what do I want to create a photo image that others can acquire from the disc and edit in their own software if they desire. I am using a Canon Pixma MFP
    and not liking the Navigator much either.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am currently using VueScan

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jmain6 View Post
    I am surprised no one has mentioned a totally free program for personal use called Irfan View. I have a Brother multifunction printer with scanner and I decided I did not like the included scanner software, including the cumbersome Paperport, so I went to Irfan View. Just clicking on the icon opens a blank window, go to the end of the file drop down and click on acquire batch scanning, and click on ok on the next small window. From there you can set whatever properties you want (or just use the default properties) and do a pre-scan to change your image boundaries and then run a scan. Save it wherever you want by using file - save as ... , and you are done.
    I know I am replying to an old post. I tried to download the Irfan program. It hung up and for the last 10 or 12 minutes, it will not finish downloading or will it allow me to delete the program. I will probably just shut down the computer and see if that will kill of the program. Does not make me feel warm and fuzzy about Irfam.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fireman View Post
    I know I am replying to an old post. I tried to download the Irfan program. It hung up and for the last 10 or 12 minutes, it will not finish downloading or will it allow me to delete the program. I will probably just shut down the computer and see if that will kill of the program. Does not make me feel warm and fuzzy about Irfam.
    Shutting down the computer did remove the Irfan program. I then downloaded the program again. The problem I am having is I cannot put the image (text, no pictures) in the file I want. I can find the file, but I cannot highlight the file. I do not want to have to start the file system all over. In fact, I cannot figure how to make and open a new file.

I have downloaded and tried all of the programs others have mentioned. Not one of the programs will allow me to scan to my existing files. I can find them, in the new program, but cannot use them. I may have to continue used Nuance. Unfortunatly, there seems to be no way to contact them unless I buy another program. I would pay for advice if the advice would fix the problems I have with Nuance.
    Last edited by fireman; 2014-02-09 at 14:50.

Thanks
    Fireman,

To create a new file just open the program and then paste in your desired contents from the clipboard and save it. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I use Scannito Pro, because I need the ability to scan to multipage PDFs.

Scannito can do that, but the process is a bit confusing. Basically, you scan all pages to individual PDF files; you then hit the PDF icon to combine all of the individual PDFs into one new combined PDF.

If I didn't need to do multipage PDFs, I would use Irfanview.

I have no need for OCR, so I can't comment on that aspect of things.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I use Scannito Pro, because I need the ability to scan to multipage PDFs.

Scannito can do that, but the process is a bit confusing. Basically, you scan all pages to individual PDF files; you then hit the PDF icon to combine all of the individual PDFs into one new combined PDF.

If I didn't need to do multipage PDFs, I would use Irfanview.

I have no need for OCR, so I can't comment on that aspect of things.
    Add this to your set of "Free" utilities and you can shuffle those pages into a .pdf any way you like.
    http://www.angusj.com/pdftkb/#pdftkbuilder

Yes, it is old for software, but still a goody.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RussB For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2014-02-11)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since I started this thread I have watched it with interest. I have Photoshop Elements 6 which is OK for most of what I do with images. I like to also employ OCR and I lost a good OCR when I went to Win 7 and could no longer use Textbridge Pro. Recently I downloaded Free OCR and it works very well except it may have brought unwanted junk with it although I made certain to decline all offers with the download.
    Anyono else have experience with Free OCR?

Thanks
    Interesting thread. I have a Brother MFC-J6710DW with 11"x17" scanning capability. It's the best large-format scanner out of 4 or 5 I've had over the past 10-15 years. The included Control Center 4 software is fairly easy to understand and is convenient to use for most purposes. You don't have too much control over scan quality — for example there's no setting to reduce moire patterns from scanned halftones. But those scans aren't too bad, anyway, so maybe that capability is built in.

I have a project that requires me to scan about 250 multipage handwritten letters from the WWII era, along with their envelopes. The letters and envelopes are of varying sizes, and I want to crop them before saving the scans — no reason to store a lot of white space on my hard drive. The Brother scanner works OK for them, but as far as I can figure out, you have to crop each one manually by dragging some dotted lines before saving it. Also the scanner lid is big and heavy, and a pain in the arm to deal with for all these little letters and envelopes.

So I bought a CanoScan LiDE 210 for under $85, to see how it would work for me. I had used a LiDE previously, and I really liked it but wasn't impressed with its clunky MP Navigator software, which was also used with other Canon scanners I have owned. The LiDE 210 is a nice, small unit that handles my letters and envelopes really easily. The scanner lid is light and very easy to lift. Unfortunately and unbelievably, the MP Navigator software has become MUCH clunkier over time. It is VERY hard to figure out how to use it, and the extensive documentation, though clearly written, is nearly useless due to its clumsy organization. There are dozens of on-screen buttons with poorly-defined functions, and a saving and cataloging system that seems possibly rational, but is totally unable to be figured out. Through extensive trial and error, I've found the settings that are perfect for me, but it is REALLY hard to get to them.

The secret is to get to the so-called "ScanGear Scanner Driver", which you do with four cryptic clicks, but must be sure you've checked one mysterious checkbox. (If I hadn't used many previous versions of Canon scanner software, I'd never have been able to figure it out. Great scanners, horrid software that might have been designed in Somalia or some other failed state, or by the guys who programmed the Obamacare websites.)

Once I get to the Scanner Driver in its poorly-explained Advanced Mode, I've got a control panel with about 20 useful settings, each of which CAN be figured out by consulting the Somali help system. When I click the Preview button, the scanner takes a quick look at what's on the glass, and displays it with dotted crop lines in the proper place. In 300+ scans of different-sized yellowed documents, it has yet to fail in placing the crop lines exactly where they should be. A click of the green Scan button produces a quick, properly cropped scan. If subsequent pages are the same size as the Previewed one, they will be scanned in the proper size if properly placed on the glass. If they are different, they just need to be previewed again.

The bottom line is that the Canon MP Navigator software does exactly what I need with the slick little LiDE 210 scanner, AFTER I've figured out how to get to the right place. And THAT is a VERY difficult task.

And BTW, the scans aren't saved as they are made, which a rational being might expect. They go into something called "My Box", from which they can be saved if you figure out how to do it. Sheesh!

What I need now is to find a way to have the AutoScan button on the LiDE 210 call up the ScanGear Scanner Driver without going through three to five extraneous steps. Since Canon has no email, chat, or phone support for its scanners, I don't think I'll ever find it. When my project is finished, I plan to take the scanner back to BestBuy for a refund. That may be a bit tacky, but BestBuy doesn't mind, and Canon's software is impossible to figure out.
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2014-04-17 at 21:13.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast