Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Canon LiDE 20 and the software is a curse. Maybe I'll try that four click procedure to see how that works. The software I really liked was Textbridge but it's not compatible with Win 7 unfortunately. I used Textbridge with a previous Canon scanner.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Still can't figure what thee four clicks are. Oh,well so much for that.

Thanks

Four Clicks (or so)

This works for the LiDE 210:

Start MP Navigator EX 4.0 (This seems to be a special version for the LiDE 210)
    1. Click Scan/Import
    2. Click Photos/Documents (Platen)
    3. Check Use the Scanner driver (that will change the picture below)
    4. Click Open Scanner Driver

Capture.PNG

Then you will see a reasonable, understandable control panel.

Capture.PNG
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2014-04-17 at 21:37.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lou Sander For This Useful Post:

PCLearner (2014-04-18),wavy (2014-04-23)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much. I will certainly try that and report my results. It's really great to be able to assist each other. Incidentally, I found the free OCR one of the best for its "price."

Thanks
    RE: Canon MP Navigator software

I've done some Googling of 'MP Navigator' and 'LiDE 210'. I didn't find any forums or help, just various download sites. Apparently there are different versions of MP Navigator for different scanners. At least that is what was mentioned a few times. I haven't found a way, other than in the startup screen, to find which version of the software I am using. A graphic when I start it says 'MP Navigator EX 4.0', with no date or release number.
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2014-04-25 at 08:37.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Here is the scanning software that you need:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/naps2/

NAPS2 is free, and it is extremely simple to use. You can easily scan to a multipage PDF or to JPG.

Here is their description:

NAPS2 is a document scanning application with a focus on simplicity and ease of use. Scan your documents from WIA- and TWAIN-compatible scanners, organize the pages as you like, and save them as PDF, TIFF, JPEG, PNG, and other file formats. Requires .NET Framework 4.0 or higher.
    I downloaded and installed it. It took me about two minutes to figure out how to use it. It is superior software, not complicated in any way.

Thanks

Lou
    I have the LIDE 500 F. The software I normally use is called Canoscan toolbox.
    The options as you listed do not seem to be available on that interface.
    But having the inspiration to look about I noticed a shortcut to 'ScanGear Starter' which brings up an interface similar to your jpg. Curiously the short cut leads to :
    C:\WINDOWS\twain_32\CNQSG\SGST.exe
    and a ScanGear directory under program files is empty.
    And perhaps true to form the help button on said interface does nothing obvious. I will have to play with this when ever. It always seems I am in a hurry when I use my scanner.

PS just a thought, this scanner has always annoyed me as the usb connection is on the 'front' where the function buttons are. Just backwards, what could they have been thinking?

Thanks
    RE: Canon MP Navigator software

I've had several Canon scanners, with several versions of their software. The user interface, as I remember it, has always been clunky, sometimes extremely so, and the online help has always been rather opaque. However, once you get to the ScanGear interface, you have access to a pretty powerful and useful application.

I also have a Brother all-in-one, and their included software is pretty good. It's easy to use once you figure out how to configure the buttons, but it doesn't have the many different options of the Canon ScanGear.

There seems to be a way to print out the MP Navigator user manual. I'm going to give it a try. I will also try the NAPS2 software recommended above.
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2014-04-25 at 08:39.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    I just printed the manual to a PDF file. I found it very inconvenient to use when looking at one page at a time on screen, so I figured that it might be helpful to look at the whole manual at once.

The entire manual is 316 pages long. In my PDF version, there is no clickable index, and you can't do a text search. Nevertheless, the PDF is useful. You can scroll through the pages to get the overall picture of the manual. You could print it out if you wanted to.

The manual is pretty thorough, with detailed descriptions for every dialog box that the software can produce. What is missing is an overall view, or any way to easily get to commonly-used subjects.

It looks like the software has a LOT of features for processing images, either as scanned on the scanner or as loaded from other files. I think I'd prefer to use Photoshop, but ScanGear can do a lot of this stuff on its own.

One nice feature of the on-screen manual is that you can set up a "My Manual" system, in which you can access frequenly-used manual pages without going through the trouble of searching for them. I didn't try it, but it looks interesting. The hard part, of course, is finding the pages you want in the first place.

Bottom line on MP Navigator: Clunky, hard-to-figure-out user interface, with a decent but hard-to-figure-out manual, but with good features once you figure everything out.
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2014-04-24 at 09:21.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    I just downloaded and tried the NAPS2 software mentioned above. The download was painless, and using the software was easy and intuitive (provided you have some experience with scanner software). It seems to be a full-service program for scanning documents, without much ability to optimize the image while scanning. That may best be done in Photoshop or similar, anyway.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    About all I ever scan is documents; and when I do scan images, I rarely do any modifications to them other than cropping or brightening them up if they are dark.

The multi-page PDF feature is my favorite feature; the extreme simplicity is a close second.

Thanks
    RE: NAPS2 Simplicity

It IS definitely simple, especially if you have a little bit of experience with other scanner software. Like you, I mostly scan documents. When I scan photos, I fix them in Photoshop, so simple scanner software is a good thing to have.

In setting up Profiles, I don't know much about the choice between WIA Driver and TWAIN Driver, and I don't know what Use native WIA UI means. Neither do I know what Scale is all about.

Also, I'm pretty sure I found some sort of help screen, but I can't find it now.

Can you enlighten me (and all of us) on this?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    TWAIN vs WIA:
    http://www.rastertovector.com/r2v-ar...in-and-wia.htm

Native WIA UI : Native WIA User Inteface built into Windows.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Sander View Post
    RE: NAPS2 Simplicity

It IS definitely simple, especially if you have a little bit of experience with other scanner software. Like you, I mostly scan documents. When I scan photos, I fix them in Photoshop, so simple scanner software is a good thing to have.

In setting up Profiles, I don't know much about the choice between WIA Driver and TWAIN Driver, and I don't know what Use native WIA UI means. Neither do I know what Scale is all about.

Also, I'm pretty sure I found some sort of help screen, but I can't find it now.

Can you enlighten me (and all of us) on this?
    Lou:

TWAIN is a standard for scanners that has been around for a very long time. It seems to me to be a bit better (more capable) than WIA.

I generally start with TWAIN; if for any reason it doesn't work, I go with WIA. Recently I installed NAPS2 on a customer's computer. For some reason, TWAIN wouldn't work, but WIA works perfectly.

It really doesn't matter which one you use.

Jim

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345