Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    You could always download the Win 7 iso file including SP1 (always get the version you have a license key for), burn the iso file to DVD and use this disk for you repeair install attempt, or even a full reinstall if that becomes necessary. Your original key should work.
    Thanks for the reply. However, with all due respect, I don't think that I want to try anything as technical as you suggest just to enable error reporting. At this point, I'm not even sure that I would benefit from error reporting on my machine. Maybe some day, probably by some kind of fluke, error report will start working again.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Curious,
    Perhaps this has something to do with "Permissions" and being logged on as an administrator I don't know why sfc/scannow wouldn't work with the "oem" install ... you shouldn't need the disk to run it as long as the i386 folder is present... Also another thought is that some "security" is not permitting the change? ...I'm out of ideas... Regards Fred
    Sfc /scannow seems to be working fine. It just doesn't detect any problems. The problem seem to be that a repair install can't be done with an oem installation disk. Or so I've read. What is the deal with permissions? How do I straighten out a problem caused by permissions being messed up? I'll check to see if it looks to me like "security" is blocking error reporting. Thanks for your reply.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious142 View Post
    What is the deal with permissions? How do I straighten out a problem caused by permissions being messed up?
    "Curious etc."

Hello.. You should have an "Administrator Account", if your the primary user. See screen Shot. Regards Fred

PS: I think that even with a "OEM" installation you can create a "Repair Disk"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-12-13 at 18:20.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    "Curious etc."

Hello.. You should have an "Administrator Account", if your the primary user. See screen Shot. Regards Fred

PS: I think that even with a "OEM" installation you can create a "Repair Disk"
    What should I be doing with the Account Control Settings? I have the account control set to the lowest level.

I did make a Repair Disk. I think that I was thinking installation disk when I was talking about a repair install. I booted with the repair disk, but I didn't see anything on there that looked like it would help enable error reporting. Thanks again for your help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried it with UAC (user accounts control) turned off incase it is interfering behind the scenes?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could also try right clicking on 'C' drive and selecting 'properties- security-advanced / owner tab -edit. then make 'administrators/"your name"/administrator' the new owner and click 'apply'. then go back to security in the properties and edit the new owner to have full control. Make sure it is the only one with full control to be on the safer side.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the account control set to the lowest level.

I booted with the repair disk, but I didn't see anything on there that looked like it would help enable error reporting.
    "Curious etc."

Hello.. Yes i also have mine at the lowest level... Most "OEM" installs have a "Recovery" partition ( sometimes hidden) and when you run your repair disk at boot time, you should have the option to do a "Repair" or a "Recovery" using the partition... Don't select Recovery (unless you want to) as it will make your PC as it came from the factory ( no user installed programs) . If you select repair it will fix any damaged files, and leave your installed programs alone. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    Have you tried it with UAC (user accounts control) turned off incase it is interfering behind the scenes?
    I have UAC turned off. Thanks for the reply.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    You could also try right clicking on 'C' drive and selecting 'properties- security-advanced / owner tab -edit. then make 'administrators/"your name"/administrator' the new owner and click 'apply'. then go back to security in the properties and edit the new owner to have full control. Make sure it is the only one with full control to be on the safer side.
    I created a new account and made it administrator. When I logged in with that account error reporting is still disabled. Thanks for the reply.

Lounger
    Thanks
    "Curious etc."

Hello.. Yes i also have mine at the lowest level... Most "OEM" installs have a "Recovery" partition ( sometimes hidden) and when you run your repair disk at boot time, you should have the option to do a "Repair" or a "Recovery" using the partition... Don't select Recovery (unless you want to) as it will make your PC as it came from the factory ( no user installed programs) . If you select repair it will fix any damaged files, and leave your installed programs alone. Regards Fred
    I booted with my repair disk, but there is no repair option anywhere that I could find. There's recovery and restore, but no repair. Thanks for the reply.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I booted with my repair disk, but there is no repair option anywhere that I could find. There's recovery and restore, but no repair.
    "Curious etc."

Yes ... You have to read the screens carefully ...Move the one screen out of the way ... choose restore ... and select recovery tool... there is a choice... once made the option to "Repair" shows up....there is no way to take a screen shot of this and my camera is not handy ... You can proceed through the screens ...just don't "Pull the Trigger" until your sure...You want the repair option....Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Lounger
    Thanks
    "Curious etc."

Yes ... You have to read the screens carefully ...Move the one screen out of the way ... choose restore ... and select recovery tool... there is a choice... once made the option to "Repair" shows up....there is no way to take a screen shot of this and my camera is not handy ... You can proceed through the screens ...just don't "Pull the Trigger" until your sure...You want the repair option....Regards Fred
    I booted up from the repair disk a few more times and went through all the screens that came up and still couldn't any repair except the startup repair (and I ran that a couple of times). It would appear that I'll need more detailed instructions if you have the patience. I really appreciate all of your help.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    "Curious etc."

Hello...sounds like you have use the repair disk correctly... I checked my OS ( Win 7 \ 64 Pro) with my repair disk to make sure i didn't miss anything...At this point this is how i would proceed

1. Run the "scannow" one more time ..
    2. Run chkdsk C: /r
    3. Make a full Image of my C: and store it on another partition , 2nd Internal or External Hard Drive (Verify the Image) , or Flash drive or DVD's
    4. Recover the OS using the Recovery Partition option
    5. When finished , i would then check to see if the problem is gone...
    6. At that point if it isn't, i would recover to the just made Image and start over looking for the problem..If the problem is gone...then you have to decide how to proceed ...if it's worth re-installing all your programs etc.

If you not sure of any of these steps post back with your questions... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    I booted up from the repair disk a few more times and went through all the screens that came up and still couldn't any repair
    I believe that a repair install can only be run from inside Windows (with the disc in the optical drive), not after booting from the disc.

Zig

Lounger
    Thanks
    "Curious etc."

Hello...sounds like you have use the repair disk correctly... I checked my OS ( Win 7 \ 64 Pro) with my repair disk to make sure i didn't miss anything...At this point this is how i would proceed

1. Run the "scannow" one more time ..
    2. Run chkdsk C: /r
    3. Make a full Image of my C: and store it on another partition , 2nd Internal or External Hard Drive (Verify the Image) , or Flash drive or DVD's
    4. Recover the OS using the Recovery Partition option
    5. When finished , i would then check to see if the problem is gone...
    6. At that point if it isn't, i would recover to the just made Image and start over looking for the problem..If the problem is gone...then you have to decide how to proceed ...if it's worth re-installing all your programs etc.

If you not sure of any of these steps post back with your questions... Regards Fred
    Thanks for all your help. However, if this is getting to the point where I might have to reinstall everything I think that I'd rather just live with my defective Windows 7 installation. The reason that I noticed that the error reporting function wasn't working was because I was experiencing some BSOD's (I don't know what was causing them). The BSOD's have disappeared, so I think that I don't want to run the risk of having to install everything from scratch again. Thanks again for all your help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast