Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

How to enable Win 7 error reporting

Is there a method to turn on error reporting in Win 7? I have Win 7 pro 64-bit sp1. The error reporting is disabled and I've been searching for hours for a way to enable that feature. Apparently this feature is controlled by "group policy". I could not find any useful info about controlling or changing "group policy". Not only are all the "Problem Reporting Settings" greyed out on my machine, but the "Change report settings for all users" is greyed out also. I'm the only user on my machine, so I am obviously the administrator (at least I hope that I am). What's the secret to enabling Error Reporting in Windows 7?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found this guide on How-To Geek that shows how to disable error reporting.

Using that you should be able to enable it by applying the opposite setting in Group Policy.
    Last edited by Browni; 2011-12-11 at 22:54.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    I found this guide on How-To Geek that shows how to disable error reporting.

Using that you should be able to enable it by applying the opposite setting in Group Policy.
    Thanks for the reply. I tried the solution on this website and, unfortunately, didn't have any luck. I guess that MS wants to cut down on the error and problem reports. That saves them a quite a bit of hassle.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious142 View Post
    Is there a method to turn on error reporting in Win 7? I have Win 7 pro 64-bit sp1.
    Curious,
    Hello... Try Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Services and applications>Services....Then see "Screen Shot" check your settings Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Is there a method to turn on error reporting in Win 7? I have Win 7 pro 64-bit sp1. The error reporting is disabled and I've been searching for hours for a way to enable that feature. Apparently this feature is controlled by "group policy". I could not find any useful info about controlling or changing "group policy". Not only are all the "Problem Reporting Settings" greyed out on my machine, but the "Change report settings for all users" is greyed out also. I'm the only user on my machine, so I am obviously the administrator (at least I hope that I am). What's the secret to enabling Error Reporting in Windows 7?
    How was this service disabled in the first place?
    This service would normally be set to automatic or manual unless intentionally altered.

Try going into the services section (services.msc) to ensure event logging, event locator, error reporting, and all their dependancies are enabled and set to automatic.

Then try this...
    With the default Category Control Panel:
    1. Go to Start
    2. Select Control Panel
    3. Select Action Center
    4. Select Change Action Center settings
    5. Select Problem reporting settings
    6. Select Change report settings for all users
    7. Select Automatically check for solutions (Recommended)
    8. Select the Ok button to apply the settings

You may need to run a "sfc /scannow" if the above doesn't work.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Curious,
    Hello... Try Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Services and applications>Services....Then see "Screen Shot" check your settings Regards Fred
    Thanks for your reply. I changed the Start Type to Automatic and the Windows Error Reporting Service is always running. I'm stil not allowed to enable error reporting.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. I changed the Start Type to Automatic and the Windows Error Reporting Service is always running. I'm stil not allowed to enable error reporting.
    Curious,
    You may have to re-boot...after changing the settings... Just a thought. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    How was this service disabled in the first place?
    This service would normally be set to automatic or manual unless intentionally altered.

I don't know. I definitely did not intentionally alter the settings for the error reporting service. The service was set to manual and I just changed it to automatic so that it is running all the time. Running the error reporting service does not cause windows to allow me to enable error reporting.

Try going into the services section (services.msc) to ensure event logging, event locator, error reporting, and all their dependancies are enabled and set to automatic.

The event logging service is set to automatic. I couldn't find any information about "event locator". I don't know how to identify the dependancies involved. What is the "event locator" and how do I identify the dependancies?

Then try this...

You may need to run a "sfc /scannow" if the above doesn't work.
    I followed your step by step procedure and it takes me to the screen where the options are greyed out which prevents me from enabling error reporting. That's the screen that's at the center of this whole problem. If the options on that screen functioned I wouldn't have a problem.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Curious,
    You may have to re-boot...after changing the settings... Just a thought. Regards Fred
    Thanks. I did (more than once).

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I did (more than once).
    Curious,
    Take a careful look at all these settings...Regards Fred

PS: Yes i agree with CLiNT "sfc /scannow"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-12-12 at 19:37.
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Sounds to me like a "sfc /scannow" or repair install is in order.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Curious142 (2011-12-13)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Curious,
    Take a careful look at all these settings...Regards Fred

I restarted the error reporting service and nothing changed. All the settings in the recovery tab are the same as in the picture.

PS: Yes i agree with CLiNT "sfc /scannow"
    I ran this twice. It showed now problems both times.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Sounds to me like a "sfc /scannow" or repair install is in order.
    I ran sfc /scannow twice and it didn't turn up any problems. I'll check into doing a repair install. I've checked it out before and found out that this doesn't work with an oem Windows installation dvd, which is what I have.

Thanks
    You could always download the Win 7 iso file including SP1 (always get the version you have a license key for), burn the iso file to DVD and use this disk for you repeair install attempt, or even a full reinstall if that becomes necessary. Your original key should work.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Curious142 (2011-12-13)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran sfc /scannow twice and it didn't turn up any problems. I'll check into doing a repair install. I've checked it out before and found out that this doesn't work with an oem Windows installation dvd, which is what I have.
    Curious,
    Perhaps this has something to do with "Permissions" and being logged on as an administrator I don't know why sfc/scannow wouldn't work with the "oem" install ... you shouldn't need the disk to run it as long as the i386 folder is present... Also another thought is that some "security" is not permitting the change? ...I'm out of ideas... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Curious142 (2011-12-13)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast