New Lounger
    Thanks

Gateway laptop screen trouble

I have a Gateway, W350A, that the screen looks like someone poured red paint and let it drip down on the screen (see pic). The external display works fine....so I ordered and replaced the LCD screen and cable....no luck. I tore apart the screen to make sure the CCFL was glowing fine, it was nice a bright. I'm assuming the only thing left is the motherboard? Strange that the external works though.....any thoughts?

Jon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Did the problem develop slowly or did it appear overnight?

Observe the distortion being modulated by the aurora display on the login screen you posted:

Do these modulated lines change if you apply pressure on the LCD panel?
    Do they change if you adjust the angle of the display or give the side or bottom of the panel a sharp (but careful!) tap?
    Do they change after you get past the login screen to the main desktop display?
    Does the same effect happen in safe mode, or with different display adapter settings (resolution, number of colours, refresh rate etc)?

The LCD inverter board is not common to the panel and an external display, so since you have changed the panel already, it's possible that the inverter may have developed a fault or may have a poor ground connection.

Alternatively, you may have a corrupt graphics driver which runs default settings on external display, but is unable to drive the panel.

Thanks
    I would lean more toward the graphics card myself. The drivers may very well have been corrupted somehow. Have you tried updating the drivers? This should be a relatively straight forward operation. Go to the graphics card manufacturer's site and see what's available. They should have the drivers for your model and have instructions on how to update their drivers. This would be the easiest thing to do at this point.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input Gents.....the screen doesn't change if tapped, moved, etc nor once logged in....you can see it displayed in the BIOS screen as well. I did try the drivers deal with no success. The CFL looks fine, clear and bright (took the whole assembly apart!) so I don' think it's the inverter. Personnally, I think it's the video part of the MB....just looking for some confirmation! Jon

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jschmidt View Post
    Thanks for the input Gents.....the screen doesn't change if tapped, moved, etc nor once logged in....
    jon,
    Hello... Have a look at how the screen is connected to the Motherboard and all the printed circuit board solder connections that are related to it. Look for any solder connections that are close to each other...Maybe bridged by some "junk" Or any connections that may be marginal... You didn't say if this happened all at once , or over time...Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)