Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Don't think I'll be buying Windows 8!

Hi all looks like it's time to SERIOUSLY investigate Linux before buying another PC. Look what MS is up to now!

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    That is no different than what Apple, Google, & Amazon can do. What the big deal? I believe that applies to applications bought and downloaded from the Microsoft store. By Microsoft's definition, that will be Metro style apps to start with.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    BTW, please keep posts about beta software in the beta forum. There can be changes in almost anything before the software is released.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    As Joe said, this is no different from what others have been doing already. You can use Windows 8 without using the Windows Store, so if you don't buy apps from there, you are at no risk of having anything deleted. I can understand the reasons invoked by the vendors, in security related cases. Legal reasons, well that's more controversial, but refunds should be provided in any case.

Thanks
    Joe,

I thought about that when I posted it but I thought it was of more general interest thus the "General Windows" category. Sorry.
    As for the "everyone else is doing it" I remember what my mother used to tell me "If everyone else jumps off a cliff are you going to do it too!"

[RANT ON] IMHO, it's time we took a stand or at least try to. I'm still of the opinion that it is my machine. If I buy something no one else has a right to take it away from me w/o "Due Process", gee where did I get an idea like that? I think it is in some moldy old document hiding in a museum somewhere in Washington, D.C.[RANT OFF]

I'm just sayin'
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think it is a big deal; exactly, just because the rest fall in line and march off the cliff...

On the other hand, what can ya do? Vote with your hard earned dollar is how and have the conviction to back it up; or compromise. I'm sure Microsoft needs that retroactive safety valve for legal reasons...wouldn't be good for them if they inadvertently released something that was copyrighted by someone else and had no way of retracting it. Consumer confidence is the unavoidable consequence but they feel they'll be alright following procedural precedents.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post

[RANT ON] IMHO, it's time we took a stand or at least try to. I'm still of the opinion that it is my machine. If I buy something no one else has a right to take it away from me w/o "Due Process", gee where did I get an idea like that? I think it is in some moldy old document hiding in a museum somewhere in Washington, D.C.[RANT OFF]
    Not quite accurate. While you own the hardware, you do not own the operating system nor any of the software installed on it. It's licensed. And by installing it and checking the box that says "I agree" to the terms of the license, you are legally bound to those terms. So, yes, voting with your feet so to speak could send a message, provided enough people followed suit.

While I praise Linux for being open source and for just "being there" to give MS and others something to think about, for most people its not a practical OS for day to day use. Its still very much a hobbyist/enthusiast OS save for special applications in the corporate data center (like VMWare, Citrix XenServer, IDS appliances, and other monitoring systems). Most people that would switch to Linux because of perceived ill will on Microsoft's part tend to switch back to Windows in 6 months to a year.
    Chuck

Thanks
    I have to agree with Chuck. Linux was not a viable alternative for me and after a few months I uninstalled it. I do not consider myself a novice, but Linux was just too Geekish for me.

As stated, others are already doing this. In the article linked, Google has actually performed this a couple of times. Apple has not yet done this but has the ability to do so. I believe this will cause MS to indeed be very careful and vet possible apps before listing them in their store. I guess I do not consider this such a big deal.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Even with free open source software you agree to terms of use.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is difficult to equate or compare legal corporate restrictions and legalese with personal freedoms (especially those of the U.S.A.) but it doesn't stop the associative feelings. For instance, the more I feel restricted, or much worse, wronged by that restriction, the more I'm apt to fight that even though I'm technically in the wrong, or at least overmatched by a long shot (who remembers the axiom "can't fight city hall?").

Those that don't feel like it constricts on their personal freedoms are not as apt to be affected.

Thanks
    I too would be concerned about this turn of events re Win 8. This big brother attitude could easily get extended to include deleting 3rd party apps where MS feels the app is in violation of MS patents, or where they suspect piracy.

And deleting anything from a user's computer without prior notification and chance for appeal is just wrong.

Furthermore, extending that to include DATA is really pushing things; they may own the app, but no way do they own the data. Maybe they kill the app, but I should still be able to extract MY data.

Finally, I agree this thread was more suitable to a general windows discussion than just Win 8. I don't read this beta forum anymore because it has been totally flooded with Win 8 discussions of little interest to me, not being interested in touchy feely os's. I wouldn't have seen it except for the Moved notice in General Windows.

Maybe it is time to give Win 8 its own forum? I think it is here to stay, for better or worse.

Jock

Thanks
    Nothing to be concerned about here. Any "kill switch" will easily be defeated in time by some new hack, you'll see.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes ; hence my #10 post, the more I get no say or feel unjustly restricted, the more I look for the work of the genius hackers who feel the same. Attack of the killer bees!
    Last edited by Infinicore; 2011-12-12 at 19:14.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If anyone owns any IOS or Android or Kindle device you are already subject to this behavior. Even if it is true this only applies to Metro apps purchased through the Microsoft app store. You always have the option not to purchase anything through the app store. As Doc Brown expressed in post #7 you agree to license terms when you start your system for the first time. If you don't read the TOS it is your own fault. Moreover, if you don't want to agree to the TOS you can return the device.

How many times have Apple, Google, or Amazon invoked this? I think Microsoft will be as circumspect as anyone else. This is just a way for Microsoft to say they are going to do whatever they can to avoid legal issues.

Besides, getting all worked up over an OS that is not even at the beta stage is a waste of time.

Joe

Thanks
    I agree, I have many far more important things to worry about than what might or might not be a part of a very early release of a new OS. I did read this several days before RG brought it up and was no more concerned then than I am now.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast