Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ufff! I'm still with ya RG! I understand the concept better I think, and don't apply the specifics of this phenomenon in particular as heavily (since I don't knowingly use a single Android, Apple or Microsoft app.).

It most definitely is an invasion of privacy in my opinion, supposedly a legal corporate one; their solution to a potential problem. Philosophically it is a big deal but most Americans can't fathom what it really means because we've enjoyed an unprecedented level of freedoms in the short history of mankind.

You must have heard of a country or two that has already basically shut down the Internet on a few occasions, or monitor so heavily (China) and block all unwanted routes of communication; yet information still rolls out right through their fingers thanks in part to apps that can fly under the radar. They would surely be blocked if they could, by any means possible.

Do I ever think it will come to that in the US? Of course not, but, the concept is extremely powerful; its part of what democracy is and how it defeats repression!

Give ya another example, the TSA; they can practically strip search you and have a look at your junk if they want to if you have to fly. Of course I understand the reasoning but boy of boy, that really does impinge on our freedoms and rights to privacy, so much so that its almost like the terrorists are still getting what they want!
    The dismissive folks will say, well, I have nothing to hide and I want to be safe; and so do I, but that does nothing to mitigate the freedom one gives up to fly!
    Last edited by Infinicore; 2011-12-13 at 10:28.

Thanks
    Hi again All,

I guess I'm just getting old and cranky. I still remember the old Apple "1984" adds against "Big Brother" {IBM}. Of course, now Apple has become "Big Brother"! I don't want to start a war here I'm just sayin' as long as we take the easy way the corporations will continue to erode our rights with more and more restrictive licenses. I would prefer to live in a "Burger King" world and will endure some pain to have it "my way"! Merry Christmas All!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Merry Christmas to you as well RG, and many more!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    as someone already said, if you download software from the Microsoft app store you will have agreed to let them disable/kill the app if they decide to. What is the issue here?

Thanks
    I think i'm too Dang old & stubborn to start a new learning curve. I like the sandboxes I play in, I might kick the frames from time to time but the sand is almost the same :-)

Thanks
    As sure as the sun rises when Windows 8 final version comes out the Internet will be full of posts, blogs, opinion pieces etc. about how un-secure Windows 7 is and how you really need Windows 8 to be safe and secure...

Me, I'm sticking with Windows 7 until the zeros and ones get ejected from my exhaust fan..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well it basically seems Microsoft is attempting to develop a layered approach to adding in compatibility and function with touchscreen devices that will hopefully be elegant and desired by the public. They've already conceded that its not really a product development aimed at old school corporations which has always been their bread and butter.

If they get it right, it becomes a value added product that exists for those that get touchscreen devices, so they have a product for that market; and its just fine with them if the corporate world continues to demand Win7, in fact they would be ecstatic just to get them all to abandon XP!

Thanks
    Well, here's where I'm at; using XP Pro (32bit) 80% & using W7 home prem (64bit) 10% & ipad 10%.

How ever, I will be slowly moving to W7 as I get a more warm fuzzy feeling inside.

I'll most probably "Drop" using XP when Wnindowssecrets scream's at me to do so :-)

I'll have to say that (around this area) more & more folks are using tablets/ipads, they claim that they can see and use it better.

Thanks
    I did the same thing you're doing...
    I have XP on one drive and 7 on the other and kept using XP because I was comfortable with it..
    Then I started using 7 exclusively and now when I boot into XP I can't wait to get back to 7...
    You'll see, you wont be any different...

If not, I'll send one of my uncles from Brooklyn out there to 'talk' to you...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    @Banyarola;
    As post #23: I'm probably leaning that way !!

Maybe send a aunt or niece -- 20 esh

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll have to say that (around this area) more & more folks are using tablets/ipads, they claim that they can see and use it better.
    Takes me about 3 minutes to start Jonesin for something more powerful and complete, like a laptop with a real keyboard.

Better send a couple uncles my way; just figured it up and I have about 11 copies of XP real and virtual and 6 of W7 running most of the time...and you can take my W7 away from me but I'll be in the watchtower waiting for Frank and Vinny with my 50 cal. machine gun emplacement if they come after my XP.

A few things about W7 really bug me; most I've worked around but one, and it may seem trivial, but I want to change that blue shading scheme of hightlights and label headers and header bars and sidebars, etc. I only have 6 of them running but its too many to be so monolithic. I may be a semi-geek but I'm a creative semi-geek and want tons of variation and customization and I just haven't found out how to yet with W7; even the full force of Stardock can't tame W7. Maybe if Frank and Vinny could show me how to do that, we could come to an arrangement where nobody gets hurt!!

The only way I'll ever get a taste of W8 is by happenstance; some PC will come my way someday and it will be on it. Until then I don't have the slightest interest...unless I hear its functionally as good as W7 AND much more deeply customizable AND the stupid versioning goes away; one standard purchase, one complete OS, no crippling handicaps in lesser versions.

Thanks
    Is this what you are looking for:

WindowsColors.jpg

Search Box, Windows Colors and appearance, Advanced Options
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, yes, if one destroys a fundamental characteristic of W7, that being Aero Glass, there is more customization to be had (still it holds on to a thing or two though), but, I'm sure you see the point; no Aero! Time and again, all these compromises are exactly what I find so irritating about W7; its not that it isn't capable of it; its that it's withheld!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe you can also download different themes in win 7. Just choose one that gives you the colour theme you want.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes there are a ton of themes and wallpaper slideshows online for W7, in fact it has a nice "packaging" feature that lets an individual roll their own quite easily and share it with friend if they like, which is a very nice feature I think.
    However, the basic guts of the system in Aero remain shades of blue at all times no matter what the theme and can actually cause a fairly awful color contrast with certain themes (though someone must have found them pleasant or just decided to put up with it that way). Orange, brown, red and green; I don't really find any of them look too good with that unchanging blue. Silver, gray, purples, blues of course; they look fine. Also if one looks at the Windows 7 themes available online, there is a predominance of blues, grays and very light colors, presumably to work with the fixed blue colors better.

I guess I've just been spoiled by how good XP is for too long, despite there being so many user themes that have a shortcoming here or there...finding a great one is wonderful! Haven't found that in Windows 7 yet.
    Last edited by Infinicore; 2011-12-31 at 08:22.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12