3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlining in Styles

I have worked with versions of Office for many years. I am currently working with Office 2010. I need to create a template in the form of a report which uses Styles (Heading1, 2...) and outlining within the styles. We want to use the Article outline list, but because we want font changes, etc. we want to use Styles.

We have templates that were created in older versions of Word that converted to Word 2010 just fine. Creating the styles with the outline numbering is not working for me. I must be missing something. I can create the styles from the outlined formatted text, but the list style (outline) doesn't update as the levels change.

What is the trick in Word 2010 to get outline list styles into Heading Styles?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you chose the built-in article I, Section 1.01,... list icon in W2010, the headings are already linked to the number level. If things aren't working, then the styles have likely not been linked to the number levels. The input box for that is in on the right side of the Define New Multilevel dialog, which you can expose by clicking the More button.

Pam
    Last edited by PamCaswell; 2011-12-15 at 20:25.

Thanks
    The list numbering has to be attached at a very low level to the Styles. See Outline Numbering by Shauna Kelly, MVP. That page will give you step-by-step instructions. Save these settings in a template other than normal.dotm. You can attach the template to current documents and update the styles from the template. Remember to turn the updating off after you have attached them.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PamCaswell View Post
    If you chose the built-in article I, Section 1.01,... list icon in W2010, the headings are already linked to the number level. If things aren't working, then the styles have likely not been linked to the number levels. The input box for that is in on the right side of the Define New Multilevel dialog, which you can expose by clicking the More button.

Pam
    The Article and ARTICLE list outlining seem to create styles, but are not using Heading 1, 2, etc. The Article list appears to be associated with Headings, but our default Headings are using the legal outlining. I thought maybe the Headings would change if we selected a different multilevel list.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Kenyon View Post
    The list numbering has to be attached at a very low level to the Styles. See Outline Numbering by Shauna Kelly, MVP. That page will give you step-by-step instructions. Save these settings in a template other than normal.dotm. You can attach the template to current documents and update the styles from the template. Remember to turn the updating off after you have attached them.
    I have read the articles before. I was creating the Article outlining in a new template. We usually try to be consistant about using the Heading styles, therefore if different outlining multilevels are used in different templates our staff know to always use Headings to get the styles and outline level.

I will give Shauna Kelly's instructions another try. Thanks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Outline/multilevel lists do not create styles--although is may seem so when the style of a paragraph changes as numbering is applied but the misperception could just as well be that the styles create the numbering. Numbering levels are linked to an existing paragraph style when the list is defined. If you want to use the numbering scheme from an old template with different styles, you must associate the number levels with the styles you want to use. You can do this before or after you have replaced the styles in the document.

Pam