New Lounger
    Thanks

Recycle Bin Will Not Empty

I can not find a thread for this so I have to make one.I have a external harddrive and at times it will not empty.I have tried the following command prompt to correct this.The command is rd /s C:\recycler.I have changed the C: to the G: without any luck.Most of the time Crapcleaner does a fine job but it will not empty the files from the external drive.I know that I have no system files on the external drives for it is used only for my mp3's and to keep some patches for gaming.The folder is called Dg23 which was a patch that I used.This is why at times I can not stand these products by Microsoft.Something this simple and mundane should never happen at all.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Under normal conditions you cannot just remove a system file or folder. The recycle bin is such a folder.
    You can empty it of files stored there, but you cannot/shouldn't actually REMOVE the folder.

If you right click on any recycle bin, you should see the option to "Empty Recycle Bin".
    Other than that, just leave it alone. OK?

Happy Holidays!

The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-12-18 at 09:24.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I know that I have no system files in the recycle bin for the G drive.I just want to delete common files that I know that are not system files.These are not protected files of any kind,just useless empty folders.In the past when I had this problem I used Unlocker to get rid of them.For example I had a file to delete after I did a mod for the San Andreas game.Just a simple file that the SAMI takes care of then I delete them.I had a folder that I could not get rid of.Just a useless file that has no connection whatsoever with the useless XP OS crap that Microsoft needs to operate on.I consider myself very knowledgeable when it comes to the PC and I know that these are not connected with the OS.I just want to get rid of them because it really bugs me when my PC does not function like it should.The icon shows there's something in there and I went through the steps to show the hidden and operating files and when you open the recycle bin there is nothing in there.If I knew how to use the Linux OS I would never use products by Microsoft.It is a shame that the manufacturers do not make it easy to install the games on the Ubutu OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OH,btw I have always used this site for problems I have had in the past and a big thanks to all that have helped the common user.I really enjoy this site ever since is was Langas List.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbob_7 View Post
    I have changed the C: to the G: without any luck.Most of the time Crapcleaner does a fine job but it will not empty the files from the external drive.
    bigbob,
    Hello... CCleaner can be "tweaked" look in options ...See "Settings" and "Include" Also you can get a good free cleaner that can be set for other than the C: drive REVO Free Usually you need to "take ownership" of a recalcitrant folder before you can delete it.. Regards Fred

PS: you cant change C: to G: ...C: is the default operating system.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)