Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium Reflect V-5 Free

Hello all,
    Just thought that i would pass on some "info" ..Up to this point i had stuck at Version 4.2.3638 ...Because i could not get the recovery disk to work on any of the version 5's ..Using the "Plain Jane" Linux recovery disk option. (would not boot) So i finally went ahead and downloaded the 1.7 GB "WAIK".iso ( Windows Automated Installation Kit) file necessary to make a WinPE recovery disk ...Once i had the file in hand i let Macrium do it's thing and build a recovery disk .... Went smooth as glass ... Booted to the Recovery disk and you can now run all operations from the boot disk ...Image... File\ Folder\ Full etc. ...Clone or recover, from a previously made ( older version) Image... You can get Macrium V 5 from FileHippo Macrium Reflect Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-12-14 at 15:01.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Fred,
    I'm considering switching to Macrium from Acronis.
    Can you tell me where to find the WinPE WAIK.iso file for download? I'd like to have a recovery CD in hand before I try anything dramatically new.
    Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRon View Post
    Hello Fred,
    I'm considering switching to Macrium from Acronis.
    Can you tell me where to find the WinPE WAIK.iso file for download? I'd like to have a recovery CD in hand before I try anything dramatically new.
    Thanks.
    Hi Doc.

You can download this .iso file here When making the "PE" disk just point Macrium to where you saved the file...I Keep it on my "Data" drive so i can easily make Update's when Macrium comes out with a new version.... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Hello all,
    Just thought that i would pass on some "info" ..Up to this point i had stuck at Version 4.2.3638 ...Because i could not get the recovery disk to work on any of the version 5's ..Using the "Plain Jane" Linux recovery disk option. (would not boot) So i finally went ahead and downloaded the 1.7 GB "WAIK".iso ( Windows Automated Installation Kit) file necessary to make a WinPE recovery disk ...Once i had the file in hand i let Macrium do it's thing and build a recovery disk .... Went smooth as glass ... Booted to the Recovery disk and you can now run all operations from the boot disk ...Image... File\ Folder\ Full etc. ...Clone or recover, from a previously made ( older version) Image... You can get Macrium V 5 from FileHippo Macrium Reflect Regards Fred
    Is there a link for the Version 4.2.3638 XP 32bit ??

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagworld View Post
    Is there a link for the Version 4.2.3638 XP 32bit ??
    "Jag",
    Hello... You can get V-4.2.3638 FileHippo (right side of screen to select which version you want) Macrium will install to whatever OS "bitness" that is required...Remember to test the "Recovery disk" ...without it your dead in the water.... Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-01-05 at 08:27.
    PlainFred

Thanks
    In that I was looking for a backup Image software program from the good old USA, Macrium looks lke it's from the UK and Easeus seem to be China ---- anyone have suggestions on a freebie from the US ?

Lounger
    Thanks
    I downloaded the Macrium Reflect Free vs 4.2.3141.0 several months ago, but have NOT installed it as yet. You might say I'm a procrastinator! In any event, does anyone see a problem in my installing this particular version? I do NOT wish to install a newer version, as I'm constrained to using dial-up - I know, I know.....this 4.2 version is a 31.4 MB size, so you can see my problem. Fred, you seem the resident guru here for Macrium Reflect....any advice? Many thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I downloaded the Macrium Reflect Free vs 4.2.3141.0 several months ago, but have NOT installed it as yet. any advice? Many thanks.
    Nomad,
    Hello... I have used Macrium for quite awhile..(Along with Acronis 2010 V-7046) Any version that i have tried from Macrium ...Just works... Their only "bug" that i have noticed is that the "Recovery Disk" in the version 4's worked with the simple "Linux" version After the last version "4" which gave a continuing "nag screen" made me stick with 4.2.3638 The version "5's" recovery disk had to be made (on my OS's) with the WAIK ( Windows Automated Installation Kit) WinPE ..(Linux wouldn't boot) You have to download a 1.7GB file to make it work ....No big deal ... Just was simpler with the old "Linux" option. The new versions are better in that you can access all tools from the boot disk. Clone, Image, Recover,etc. The old only had the "Recovery option" ...
    If your new to "Imaging " ...get your feet wet with the early versions ... then would suggest to do the "WAIK" thing. Regards Fred

PS: No "guru" Just do a lot of recoveries ... because like most ...it's how i learn what not to do
    PlainFred

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Nomad (2012-01-05)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagworld View Post
    In that I was looking for a backup Image software program from the good old USA, Macrium looks lke it's from the UK and Easeus seem to be China ---- anyone have suggestions on a freebie from the US ?
    Why should software from the US necessarily be any better than that written in any other country of the world? Do you realise where most of the components in your PC and/or laptop are actually manufactured?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    @BATcher;
    Yep, I realize where things are made --- maybe more should.

I just don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about it.