Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

windows updates after two-year hiatus?

I'm using Windows XP, Home Edition, Service Pack 2. Having heard all sorts of bad things about Windows updates, I haven't downloaded any Windows updates at all, including security, for the last couple of years. I've been running Vipre antivirus software, with success as far as I can tell, and I don't seem to have any problems, knock on wood. Lately I've been doing a little housekeeping on my computer and I'm wondering what I should do as far as Windows security updates. The common wisdom is that they're necessary, but I'm afraid that I might just end up causing problems by installing them. I'd be grateful for some guidance on this issue.

Thanks,
    Ellen

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decibelle View Post
    I'm using Windows XP, Home Edition, Service Pack 2. but I'm afraid that I might just end up causing problems by installing them. I'd be grateful for some guidance on this issue.
    Ellen,
    Hello...and Welcome to W.S. Lounge... There are many opinions that you will get about "Updates" one side says "If it ain't broke...don't fix it" and the other says "The sky is falling and Patch, Patch, Patch" I would suggest that you make a complete Image of your System (OS) everything.. There are free and pay for programs that will do this. Post back if you are using any of these now...If not i can provide you with some more information about "Imaging" That said I have several OS's that don't have any patches or updates ...This paradigm depends on your PC expertise ... So the bottom line ...If your so inclined to "patch " make an Image first ,so if something does go south you can easily return to "before" Let the screaming begin.... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You will need to move to SP3 to get any patches at all, I think. Especially on XP, but also on other OSes, I think patching should be done.

As Fred wrote, be sure to backup your system (image is best) before you start.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    I second Fred's recommendation of an image backup of your system before embarking on a massive update cycle. I recommend you install XP SP3 first. The download says network installation package. Don't let that scare you. It is just the complete service pack. Once you download it burn it to a CD. That way should you have an issue and need to restore from your image backup you won't need to download the service pack again once you resolve the issue. After SP-3 is installed continue to use Windows Update until there are no more fixes to apply. Then make another image backup.

I'm of the camp that says even though you may not recognize something is broken there still are things broken in a computer OS. In spite of all other precautions (multiple layers of defense - a router with firewall, a software firewall, anti-malware software, good computing practices) to avoid malware infections, I want my OS to be as up-to-date as possible to help thwart the bad guys.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,

No, I don't have any aquaintance with OS imaging.; please tell me more. Is 't it possible to do a system restore if things go bad, or am I showing my ignorance?

I wouldn't know how to characterize my level of expertise. Medium?

One thing I forgot to mention is that my primary browser is Firefox, and I use Internet Explorer only rarely.

Thanks,
    Ellen

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,

No, I don't have any aquaintance with OS imaging.; please tell me more. Is 't it possible to do a system restore if things go bad
    Ellen,
    Hello...OK a quick thumbnail on Imaging is as follows...No "System Restore" is not what you think, "Kinda misleading"

1.Imaging ..Takes a snapshot of your complete PC operating system and installed software. Compresses it (makes it smaller) so you can store it off your C: Drive (best choice ) 2nd Internal\External HD Flash drive or even DVD's

2. The simplest program is from EASEUS Todo Backup EASEUS Todo Free

3. Download it and have a read of their website ...Post back and we can give you more detail how to proceed. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    You can read numerous discussion on Imaging in the Security and Backup forum. Several excellent apps are discussed in detail. My own experience with EaseUS To Do is not similar to Fred's experience. I would also strongly encourage you to find an app and Image. I create new Images regularly, whenever I update my PC. This allows restoration in less than 10 minutes if something bad happens.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oops . . . pardon me. I had a bit of a duh moment there. I do in fact have Acronis on my computer, it's just that I never really knew the nomenclature for the type of program it was (I'm working to improve all that). But I have only used it for backing up my hard drive: several years ago, after the hard drive of my then only four-year-old computer crashed, I had a local techie guy install a backup drive (F) in my computer along with the 2009 home version of Acronis. I didn't really participate in that much at all. He set it up to back up my entire C drive once a week (I back up my data to Mozy every time I add something new), and since then I have not experimented with it.

So - let's start from here: I do have Acronis. Now, I see that there is a feature called Try&Decide, which sounds like just the thing I need. You put your system in Try&Decide mode, and then you can install any program and see how it affects your computer's operation. If all is well, you make it permanent, if not, you just restore it to the way it was before. So theoretically I could install the Windows updates and if I had any problems I could just revert to my previous state.

Have you used that feature? It sounds almost too good to be true. Are there any risks?

Thanks,
    Ellen

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Now, I see that there is a feature called Try&Decide, which sounds like just the thing I need.

Have you used that feature? It sounds almost too good to be true. Are there any risks?
    Ellen,

Hello...This will depend on which version of Acronis that you are running ... As best that i can remember The older versions of "TI" can't survive "Re-Booting" when in the "T&D" mode ...I think that from V-2009 onward they can.. I use Acronis 2010 V-7046 and use it all the time to test software..Although sometimes it's a bit "Quirky". From version 11 back T&D worked, but if you had to re-boot to finish the install TI would drop out of T&D ... Have a look see as to which version that you have installed..As far as risks i have noticed that after you are finished running T&D ..if you decide to keep whatever you were testing ...It's best to "Discard changes with Re-Boot" ... Then install them ( whatever you did) for real outside of Acronis.... Seems that T&D will place a new folder in your "root" C: sometimes.. if you do it another way...As i mentioned "It's a bit quirky"... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,

Other than the fact that it is Acronis True Image 2009 I can't find where it says what version it is. I looked in Help and didn't see any About. Could you please tell me where to look?

Also, what is TI?

Thanks,
    Ellen

Thanks
    TI is an abbreviation for True Image, such as Acronis TIH (Acronis True Image Home). Open Acronis TIH, Drop down arrow at Help, select About Acronis TIH:

AcronisTIH1.jpgAcronisTIH2.jpg

I have blocked out my activation key.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-12-18 at 12:37.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted,

There is no drop-down help menu on my version (this has always seemed to me a very sketchy interface -- your version looks much more polished); there is a button that opens a help window that gives a sort of manual, but there is no About to be found. (I just showed this to my husband; he was astounded that there is no standard help menu or an About). Any other options?

Thanks,
    Ellen

An hour later: OK, I found the About. It's slightly more obscure than usual. But there is still no sign of a version number other than saying Acronis True Image Home 2009 (build 9,796).
    Last edited by decibelle; 2011-12-18 at 16:19.

Thanks
    That is what you were looking for. Acronis TIH 2009 build 9796. You do have v2009.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

An hour later: OK, I found the About. It's slightly more obscure than usual. But there is still no sign of a version number other than saying Acronis True Image Home 2009 (build 9,796).
    Ellen,
    Hello.. I ran TI 2009 with Vista when it was released and If i remember correctly i had bad experiences with it more ways than T&D.
    and reverted back to TI-V11... IF i ran T&D it would place a new folder on the C: Drive called "t&d loader" and it kept growing in size every time that i would use the T&D function... If i would "delete it" ...i wouldn't be able to boot the PC... When V-2010 came out i tried it and the problem was for the most part "fixed" ....noticed i said "for the most part" ...Every once in a while it will do the same now on my Windows 7 OS..except i can delete it ( the folder) without any problems. Personally i think that 2009 was the worst Acronis offering ever, and have removed all traces of it from my PC ..Can't say how it would work on yours ...Just make sure that you make a backup (Full Image ) first before you fool with T&D...and have activated the "Recovery manager" (optional) and have a working "Boot Disk"(Not optional !) Post back if you have any questions... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    >Fred wrote: "Let the screaming begin...."<

Indeed. This is starting to sound frightening!

Two things I have to say about the version I have: One, it does not inspire confidence that the interface is so crude, although I wouldn't let that be the only thing that influences me, obviously. Two, because I am not proficient at this sort of thing,, I have never put it to the test. That is, I've been backing up my C drive to the F drive, but I don't know how I could actually see if it really does what it's supposed to do, without risking my entire C drive. As I said, I had someone install it and set it up for me and since then all I've done is checked on whether the scheduled backups were actually taking place (which they were).

So, what I am getting from this conversation so far (although it has wandered off the original point) is that perhaps it would be a good idea for me to update to the latest version of Acronis TI? Unless, as Fred seems to be saying, that would not be good because what I really want is to "remove all traces" of version 9? In which case I should uninstall the program – would that remove all traces? The newest version is brand-new; should I wait until they've worked out the bugs?

Thanks,
    Ellen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast