5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2010 on Windows 7

Working on a friend's PC.

Mail worked fine, using Yahoo! Mail, until November when sending and receiving both ceased to work.
    I'm trying to set it up and cannot - the mail account refuses to log on to the Server (the ISP is TalkTalk).

Here's what I've tried (some of it results from conflicting advice !) in every combination I can think of:

POP3 server: have tried both pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk and pop.mail.yahoo.com
    SMTP server: have tried both smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk and smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    Ports: variously - POP3 465, 587, 995, 25, 110 - SMTP as POP3.

I have also tried turning off the Windows firewall and the AV (Trend Micro) - to no avail.

Incidentally, the user can log on to the Yahoo! Mail (NOT Yahoo! Mail Plus) website and access mails, so the username and password are presumably fine.

One curious thing happens - if I delete and recreate the mail account (there's only 1) , the new Account comes up as <username. (1) as if there were one with that name there already - even though only the new one I've created shows up.

Any help or advice gratefully received as I can't think of anything else to try !

Martin

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You can't access Yahoo mail through POP unless you have Yahoo Plus. Is that the case?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Has that always been the case, or has it changed recently ?

Silly question - how does one KNOW if one has Yahoo! Mail or Yahoo! Mail Plus ?

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    I believe that as always been the case. Yahoo Plus requires a yearly payment, while regular accounts are free.

There may be another way to find out if you have Yahoo Plus, but being logged in, this is the only way I found - choose Options then Disposable addresses. If you are not on Yahoo Plus, you will see a screen allowing you to upgrade your account to Plus.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Very odd.

The user has never paid Yahoo! for mail, and POP3 SMTP definitely worked - there's an INBOX full of older mails !

When I tried what you described, there was no option to upgrade - but again the user has not paid for Yahoo! Mail Plus.

Now I'm really confused.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    Very odd.

The user has never paid Yahoo! for mail, and POP3 SMTP definitely worked - there's an INBOX full of older mails !

When I tried what you described, there was no option to upgrade - but again the user has not paid for Yahoo! Mail Plus.

Now I'm really confused.
    So does the user have disposable yahoo email addresses?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    No.
    Then I would say there is no Yahoo Plus and no POP connections will be possible.
    Maybe the way to go would be to contact Yahoo support and see what they have to say about it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Confirm that Yahoo do not allow POP access on the free accounts. There is a Yahoo IMAP server but it will detect the mail client and block as required.

Interestingly, you can set up the free account on mobile device (Android anyway) and it lets you connect fine.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Spent 2 hours on "LiveChat" with Yahoo! support. Created a new account with all the correct settings and ran Telnet to confirm POP and SMTP connectivity. Still cannot connect to their Server.

They never mentioned anything about the type of account, although it could be that I suppose - how can I be certain ?

The other possibility is that the ISP (TalkTalk) only allow their own POP and SMTP servers to be accessed. Is there an easy way to check that too ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yahoo says it: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...Y4x.WdTo4duyR4

Just read what they say immediately below the Yahoo! Mail Plus heading.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much for finding the link to the Yahoo! Mail Classic limitation.

Now for the difficult choice for the user - pay up, or change mail provider.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Yahoo says it: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...Y4x.WdTo4duyR4

Just read what they say immediately below the Yahoo! Mail Plus heading.
    It hasn't always been like that though. Many years back when I first signed up to Yahoo mail I was allowed to use POP3/mail forwarding if I agreed to receive marketing emails from Yahoo. I'm still using mail forwarding quite happily with no payment ever being made to Yahoo. Perhaps there were different terms and conditions back then depending on location?

I should also add that I do have access to disposable email addresses.