Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Getting duplicate emails in Windows 7 Live Mail 2012

I have been getting duplicate emails from 2 people for the past several months. I've contacted several computer techs and they can't seem to solve the problem. One tech told me the people who email have their Sent box full and that is the problem. Another tech told me to go into Avast under settings and uncheck the Outgoing Scanning Email box. I unchecked the box and that didn't solve the problem. I asked the person I was getting the duplicates from if her boxes were full and she said they were not. I also asked these two people to ask the people who emailed them regularly if they were getting duplicates and the answer was no. I have gone through all the options in Windows Live Mail and unchecked the "leave message on server" plus anything else I could find. Contacted my wireless server and they could not find a problem. After I click on the duplicate email a message appears "there has been a problem try again later". I'm at my wits end in trying to figure out what the problem is. I'd sure appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thank you.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm assuming WLM connects to your email provider to collect and send mail. Go to the web version of your email and check if you have duplicate emails. If not the problem is with your WLM installation / setup.
    If you have duplicate emails in the web version you need to confirm that the people sending are sending duplicates. Ask them to check their outbox for duplicates.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And it's easy to double-click the Send button and not see it is sending twice, hard for some to understand when to use click versus double-click. Since it's just a few senders, one diagnostic to check that is to have them add their own address to the CC: or BCC: line, see what comes back to them.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-11-03 at 09:33.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I'm assuming WLM connects to your email provider to collect and send mail. Go to the web version of your email and check if you have duplicate emails. If not the problem is with your WLM installation / setup.
    If you have duplicate emails in the web version you need to confirm that the people sending are sending duplicates. Ask them to check their outbox for duplicates.

cheers, Paul
    Paul,
    Thank you for your reply. I thought of checking the web mail and I'm all clear there, thanks again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, thank you for replying to my question. I checked my web mail and I'm okay there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Berton,
    Thank you for replying to my question. One tech mentioned to me the sender may be double clicking so I asked the person and they assured me they were not double clicking, this person has been emailing me for about 7 years and all that time I had XP and Outlook Express and never received duplicates. That is a good idea about adding their own address in the CC line. I will try that. My husband has his email account on this computer as well as my own and he never receives duplicates but then he doesn't email nearly as much as I do.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    As your web mail only has one copy it must be WLM. The database of mail may have some corruption so forcing a compaction may help. See the 3rd reply, from jFiredog, in this link. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...0-922a147640f7

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    As your web mail only has one copy it must be WLM. The database of mail may have some corruption so forcing a compaction may help. See the 3rd reply, from jFiredog, in this link. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...0-922a147640f7

cheers, Paul
    I'll go to Firedog and see what I can find, thanks again!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The format on this forum is puzzling to navigate...re making a reply. Anyway, thanks again..I'll go to Firedog.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,
    I went to Firedog on the Microsoft site and found info. concerning "Storage Folders' which doesn't pertain to my problem in receiving duplicate emails.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I think the duplicates are caused by corruption in your database. Fix that first, then see what happens.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You may be right about the database but I have no idea as how to fix that as I'm not that savvy re navigating through programs, etc. I read several posts on the Microsoft forum, one of them was very similar to my problem and also mentioned something that has started in my Delete folder. When I delete a message it appears in my Delete box and has a little yellow icon in front of the message plus quotation marks..and the email is marked from me which is not correct, the email was sent TO me. There are two email accounts on my computer, maybe there is something wrong with my account..so I've started sending emails from my husband's account just to see if that might be the problem.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Here are the instructions for re-indexing your database - from the link I mentioned. Make sure you have a good backup of your mail before performing any of these steps.

cheers, Paul

To re-index the message database,

On the Home tab, click Work offline.
    On the View tab, select Reading pane > Off.
    Press Ctrl-Shift-O to open program Options. Select the Advanced tab and click Maintenance.
    Set Compact the database on shutdown every... to 1 and make sure the check box is ticked.
    Click Close, Apply and OK.
    Disconnect from the Internet and close down all running programs including your security software.
    Close WLMail. A progress window headed Making a backup... should appear, followed by another headed Recovering unused disk space.
    Wait a few minutes, then reboot the computer and check that your security software is running again.
    Re-connect to the Internet, launch WLMail and test.

If this is successful, you can reset the compact counter.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, many thanks for taking the time to post directions as to re-index the database. I'm afraid I will screw something up if I try and do this myself..so I think I'm going to get a computer tech to make a house call and go over all this and see what comes up. Thanks again. Oh, since I've been using my husband's email address in sending and receiving emails from people I haven't had a duplicate to come back but then it may eventually, I seem to notice duplicates more when one person keeps a conversation going to a long time and send a lot of emails. Oh, speaking of web mail, I check the web mail daily ( I'm on wireless ) and there is never a email there.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I'm going to get a computer tech to make a house call
    What you need is a teenager!

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast