Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mozilla Thunderbird setting doesn't work

I have set Composition & Addressing to automatically quote original message and then start my reply above quote. I had to reinstall Tbird on a new hard drive and in spite of the desired settings when I click "reply" the quote is at the top and cursor below the quote plus there is no signature which is supposed to be affixed.
    How can this be fixed?
    Last edited by PCLearner; 2014-10-03 at 07:51. Reason: Clarification

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PCLearner View Post
    I have set Composition & Addressing to automatically quote original message and then start my reply above quote. I had to reinstall Tbird on a new hard drive and in spite of the desired settings when I click "reply" the quote is at the top and cursor below the quote plus there is no signature which is supposed to be affixed.
    How can this be fixed?
    This particular setting is stored per "account" on Thunderbird. Thunderbird determines what account settings to use by what screen, and what folder you are in when you create a message.

Not being certain how your Thunderbird setup is configured, or how many "accounts" Thunderbird thinks you have, I can't tell you for certain how to change your setting. I can point you to this:

If you go to Tools -> Account Settings you can see your accounts listed down the left-hand side. My first attempt would be to simply go down through all the list of accounts and change that setting for each of them.

If that doesn't work, go to Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Config Editor. Be careful, because you can trash your profile in here (but you can also see what is going on).

In the search bar at the top, type "reply_on_top". That will show you all the mail accounts, and which ones are set which way. Each different account begins with "mail.identity.id" and then there is a number, like "id1". Once you see which one is set to 0, you can then type "mail.identity.id2" (or whatever the offending number is) into the search bar, and the first line that shows up (on my setup) has the email address associated with that identity. You should then be able to go back to the Account setting window and get that account fixed.

There is also a "mail.identity.default" section in the Config Editor, and I note that "reply_on_top" is set to "0" there. Depending on your setup, you may need to change that setting. I don't know of a way to do that except in the configuration editor.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I never saw your response as my PC has been having problems. I will have to find a way to send a small photo.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mozilla Tbird.jpg
    This is what I have found. I'm baffled as to how to proceed. I hope the photo comes thru.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PCLearner View Post
    Mozilla Tbird.jpg
    This is what I have found. I'm baffled as to how to proceed. I hope the photo comes thru.
    It looks like one of your accounts (.id6.) is set to reply_on_top (Value = 1), while the rest are not.

I would start by setting all the Values that say
    Code:
    .id_.reply_on_top   user set    integer    0
    in your picture to 1. To change one, just double click on a line. It will pop up a little box where you can change the '0' to a '1'.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For some reasons I don't seem to be receiving replies by email as formerly.

In any case I've changed all the 0 integers to 1 and it hasn't changed anything, unfortunately. Thanks for your suggestions and if you think of anything else please let me know.
    Last edited by PCLearner; 2014-10-20 at 16:09. Reason: Extra word eliminated