New Lounger
    Thanks

Question VISTA HP, Boot Logging

In order to see exactly what was causing an extremely long boot time I turned on boot logging and saved the file created. Now that I have the boot log file, I want to turn off boot logging as the boot time is now even longer than without the logging (makes sense since more processing is required). I have searched the web to find out how to turn it off and came up empty! The only option in the PF8 startup window is to turn it on? Does anyone know how to turn it off? I suspect it may require a REGEDIT, but that would be a last resort as I stay away from the registry file except for running Cclean.

Oh, by the way, the long boot time is due to windows attempting to load six drivers over, and over, and over in the log, and my son previously determined that Norton Internet Security also increases the boot time substantially. Microsoft's answer about the drivers is "Don't worry about them, the ISATAP works without them! There are many queries in the Tech Net forum about this Vista problem. Also, one of the drivers is 3rd party Acronis True Image 2011, which I uninstalled, and the boot time remained the same.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Rich B.

Thanks
    Try running MSConfig and click on the Boot tab. Is Boot Log checked there? If so, try unchecking it.

Jerry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

dbm1rxb (2011-12-15)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, thanks for your help. Boot logging wasn't checked, but boot information was. I can't try a restart right now as I've got a backup running, but I bet you found the problem. Thanks again! Rich B.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, OS Boot Information in MSCONFIG/BOOT was the culprit. Even though boot logging was not checked, Vista kept logging until I unchecked the above. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
    Rich B.

Thanks
    Glad it worked out for you.

Jerry