New Lounger
    Thanks

Question FireFox v8 and "ghost" display issues

I have an HP laptop I use when traveling. I recently upgraded FF from v4 to v8. Then I discovered a problem. When scrolling a long webpage the display will be very washout, like a ghost images. If you wait a second or 2 the image will become full intensity. Scroll down another page and the same issue. This problem only exists in FF. This issue did not exist in FF4. The video hardware, ATI Radeon 5650, and drivers have not changed.

After doing some debugging with FF options I discovered if I unchecked "use hardware acceleration if available" the problem went away.

Anyone else know about, or experience, this problem????

I'm somewhat pis*** at HP. They have not updated the drivers for the Radeon 5650 since the original release. And ATI (AMD) will not let you use the general release drivers to update the card. As opposed to NVIDIA which lets you use the general release drivers to update the video card on my HP desktop unit.

Bob

Thanks
    First let me say, that I too run FF 8.0.1 and I've had no such problems. But then, I don't run a laptop as my main computer either.

All lappy's come with built in limitations, that can rise up and bite you in the pants. That's the main reason I would NEVER use a laptop as my main PC. When I do use a laptop, for out-n-about computing, I've just learned to deal with all the limitations, even though my own laptop is tweaked and tuned for maximum performance.

But one thing you can do to improve laptop performance, is to seriously limit the stuff you have running in the background.
    And if possible, MAX out your RAM memory. You don't want Windows going to that slow/little hard drive any more than absolutely necessary.
    Also keep your hard drive clean and defragmented on a regular schedule. Weekly.....not weakly.

You didn't say what OS you're using on your laptop, but each version of windows has it's own set of problems and its own set of fixes.
    The few things I've mentioned here, apply to all versions of windows.

Good Luck, and Happy Holidays!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-12-16 at 13:33.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    First let me say, that I too run FF 8.0.1 and I've had no such problems. But then, I don't run a laptop as my main computer either.

All lappy's come with built in limitations, that can rise up and bite you in the pants. That's the main reason I would NEVER use a laptop as my main PC. When I do use a laptop, for out-n-about computing, I've just learned to deal with all the limitations, even though my own laptop is tweaked and tuned for maximum performance.

But one thing you can do to improve laptop performance, is to seriously limit the stuff you have running in the background.
    And if possible, MAX out your RAM memory. You don't want Windows going to that slow/little hard drive any more than absolutely necessary.
    Also keep your hard drive clean and defragmented on a regular schedule. Weekly.....not weakly.

You didn't say what OS you're using on your laptop, but each version of windows has it's own set of problems and its own set of fixes.
    The few things I've mentioned here, apply to all versions of windows.

Good Luck, and Happy Holidays!
    The Doctor
    Thanks, but it doesn't have anything to do with RAM, OS, etc. This is an INTEL core I5 laptop. It's strictly a FF problem, most likely related to the video card drivers. No other apps display this problem. And just for testing I ran IE and it did not display this issue. It's something that's changed in FF from V4 to V8. I haven't used any of the interim FF versions.

Bob

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried uninstalling FF8 then downloading and installing from Mozilla another copy. Just in case your copy was corrupted in any way.