ileacy

Windows XP Performance Stats

According to the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pcmag.com/article/0,2997,a=15583,00.asp>PcMag Benchmarks</A>.

-Win XP sees an average 10% - 20% performance improvement when upgrading from 128MB to 256MB.

-FAT32 is a bit faster than NTFS (but much less secure and space efficient)

-XP Pro is a bit faster than XP Home

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows XP Performance Stats

Is there s resource meter in WXP? I've looked in accessories, but can't find anything. I'm really curious about how much the "stickiness" problem has been cured.

Thanks, Michael

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Don't know if this is sufficient for what you want, but there's a graphical display of CPU usage and PageFile utilization, along with several other parameters : Ctrl Alt Del / Performance Tab.

Rgds

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's a big help - thanks. It's showing 70 meg of memory free with only Outlook, Winword and IE running. Turning off OL & it's Winword jumped it back up another 40 megs.

When I'm working with video I need to maximize memory, but then I turn off my cable and close down tons of stuff.

Thanks, Michael

ileacy

Gilbert:

Welcome to the world of NT class computing. The resource pools in Win9x that were the bane of so many's life, are, for all practical performances eliminated.

NT is better than 9x, 2K is better than NT, and XP is better than 2K. In fact, if you look at the problems addressed in XP you will see that they were primarily focused on performance improvement, compatibility, and enterprise class computing. Basic issues of stability in normal home/office use are no longer a driving issue.

Yes there will be bugs, Yes there will be security problems, and Yes there will be ways to tune and improve systems. Still, the jump from 9x to XP is a quantum jump in reliable computing.