Thanks

Word 2010 Normal.dotm keeps changing

How come now every time I close Word -- even if all I do is open word and start a blank sheet and then close Word -- do I get a message that it wants to alter the normal template?

I set it as "Read only" to avoid issues, but why is this happening? Is every instance supposed to alter the normal template? I don't recall this always happening.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Chuck,

In the Options, under Advanced, scroll about 3/4 or 4/5 of the way down and look to see if "Prompt before saving Normal template" is checked. If so, uncheck it and click "OK" to save your changes. If not... will have to think further.

Let us know.

Jan Berinstein
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Thanks
    Jan, I got that part -- but if it's *supposed to be making those changes, that's cool, but if it isn't supposed to be changing anything, and I get no warning...?

I remember turning that "off" before -- but Ti's turned on by default isn't it? Or is it?

I guess what I'm wondering is if changing the template all the time is supposed to happen, and if is...how come?

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It looks as though add-ins could be changing the template even if you're not doing anything directly that affects the template. See this MS Knowledge Base article for an explanation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918064

Any luck?

Jan
    Last edited by janbphd; 2011-12-16 at 00:30. Reason: To fix the link (originally inserted an extra space)

Thanks
    Thanks Jan. I'll give that a look.

Chuck

Thanks
    I found it: it's an add-in I use [ http://www.extendoffice.com/] that adds tabs to Word.

Chuck

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad we were able to pin it down. Progress!

Jan

8. The Following User Says Thank You to janbphd For This Useful Post:

CWBillow (2011-12-16)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by janbphd View Post
    Hi, Chuck,

In the Options, under Advanced, scroll about 3/4 or 4/5 of the way down and look to see if "Prompt before saving Normal template" is checked. If so, uncheck it and click "OK" to save your changes. If not... will have to think further.

Let us know.

Jan Berinstein

This is like taking the batteries out of your smoke detector because it keeps going off! It's fine to do this if the problem is the smoke detector, not such a good idea if the problem is an electrical fire. The changes to normal query only goes off if there have been changes to normal!
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Kenyon View Post
    This is like taking the batteries out of your smoke detector because it keeps going off! It's fine to do this if the problem is the smoke detector, not such a good idea if the problem is an electrical fire. The changes to normal query only goes off if there have been changes to normal!
    Yea, I found it Charles. Somehow when the add-on makes the toolbar, it changes the normal.dotm each time -- I suppose because technically it is creating the toolbar each time.

I'm hoping that'll get fixed. It ain't the end of the world, but it s a bit of a bother.

But I was thinking: any changes to the QL Bar or the ribbon are separate from the template, aren't they? So that once I get all my "defaults " set, I can [safely] set the template to Read-Only? 'Cause it will tell me if it's trying to change it and cannot, right?

There shouldn't be that many changes to the normal.dotm, should there?

Chuck
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2011-12-16 at 23:30.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Point taken. Thanks for the warning!

Jan

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Yea, I found it Charles. Somehow when the add-on makes the toolbar, it changes the normal.dotm each time -- I suppose because technically it is creating the toolbar each time.

I'm hoping that'll get fixed. It ain't the end of the world, but it s a bit of a bother.

But I was thinking: any changes to the QL Bar or the ribbon are separate from the template, aren't they? So that once I get all my "defaults " set, I can [safely] set the template to Read-Only? 'Cause it will tell me if it's trying to change it and cannot, right?

There shouldn't be that many changes to the normal.dotm, should there?

Chuck
    Shouldn't be that many changes to normal.dotm....? It depends. I try to keep changes out of normal.dotm once I have my defaults where I want them. However, that is the default storage container for macros that are recorded.

Your Add-In is misbehaving. Most Add-Ins that do this tell normal.dotm to not save changes (or that they are already saved). That causes its own set of problems. I'm working on an Add-In myself for Word 2003 and it is not an easy thing to get around.

However, in Word 2007 & Word 2010 it is fairly easy to write a template Add-In that changes the ribbon but does not make changes to normal.dotm. This includes changes that can be different every time you start Word. I don't do com Add-Ins but don't know why they would require this when template Add-Ins do not.

My advice is to keep the notification on. If you didn't make changes deliberately, reject them. You may want to try making a copy of normal.dotm for backup and accepting the changes. Then close, reopen, and close Word again. See if the alert comes up this time or if the changes made by the Add-In are a one-time thing.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    The reasons for not keeping macros and other customizations in normal include that it is the choice location for virus attacks and that when there are problems with Word, one of the first trouble-shooting techniques is to create a new (without customizations) version of normal. Virtually anything you can do to customize Word in normal can be done with global templates. In Word 2007 and Word 2010 you can even easily create style sets outside normal that are available to all your documents.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Charles, yes, I kept the notifications on, and backed up my "standard" normal.dotm just in case. AND I notified the makers of the add-in.

Chuck

Thanks
    I can understand that...but I ain't the one that designed the tab bar, so...

Chuck