Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Disabling Some Programs from Startup

I'm cleaning up the PC for a fresh start in the new year! We use Mozy Home to backup and it's scheduled to back up files once a day. Can I remove "Mozy Home Status" from the startup folder and still get this to happen? Or would I have to start the program manually each time I want to backup?

Is one of these a better option than the other?

I have the same question re. MSC (MS Security Client), which I also found in the startup folder, and StartCCC. I Googled the CCC one and it seems that it at least can be disabled without problems. The results for the others were fuzzier, which is why I'm here again!!

Thanks for any suggestions, as always!

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2011-12-16 at 12:51. Reason: Added MSC and CCC

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mozy Status

I am not a Mozy user but saw this which might be helpful: http://community.mozy.com/t5/Mozy-fo...ght/true#U6519.

Also, if not already familiar, CCleaner, http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download, has a handy Tool for disabling/enabling startup items. On the main screen of CCleaner you will see Tools > Startup.

CCleaner.png
    Last edited by rmonroe36; 2011-12-17 at 07:29. Reason: Include image of CCleaner

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I remove everything from the start up folder. I've never had an issue when starting programs via the start menu.

If brave you can also turn a lot of services of via msconfig but you need to be sure what you are doing. Mind you though, Windows will just turn on those that it needs so it's tricky to muck it all up.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    MSC should not need to be in the start-up folder to start with windows but does need to start with windows as is your virus protection.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Linda,

For a deeper (albeit more confusing at times) look, I highly recommend the Microsoft/SysInternals program Autoruns, available directly from Microsoft either singly or as part of the SysInternals bundle. There's a wealth of useful programs there. For even more useful tools, downloadable in one swell foop, you could get the freeware program WSCC (Windows System Control Center) from Majorgeeks.com, which will automagically download the SysInternals programs, as well as other utilities by Nir Sofer, and combine them with a handy contol-panel style user interface.

Be aware, though, that the NirSoft utilities are likely to trigger a lot of "false-positive" alerts from your antivirus (because they look at things you're not supposed to be looking at - ignore the man behind the green curtain - move along, nothing to see here), so it"s best to exclude the whole WSCC folder from checking.

Zig

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow! Thanks for all your replies. Will check the Mozy link you found - great. I do have CCleaner installed - just never sure what should or should not be running at startup when I see the list!! Had read about Sysinternals just recently in the Windows Secrets Newsletter but had not taken it all in. Will go back and check it more thoroughly. I'm definitely well below the geek level of expertise so want to "do no harm"!!

Question for curiousclive: if I do remove MSC from startup, will it still run in the background without my starting it manually each time I boot?

Re mandarin: Not sure I can be as brave as you and remove everything! Does that mean your startup folder "list" is totally empty? Do the computer and all your necessary programs still start and run?

Again, appreciate all the suggestions. Really want to keep the startup folder as lean as possible as it had become super bloated on my previous laptop with horrendous effects on speed! (the Lounge helped me clean it out then)

Linda

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post

Re mandarin: Not sure I can be as brave as you and remove everything! Does that mean your startup folder "list" is totally empty? Do the computer and all your necessary programs still start and run?

Linda
    Yep, anything that appears in the Startup folder gets deleted. No problems at all. Computer starts and all programs start in the normal way.

Same with Services Tab in msconfig, turn all off, computer will switch on at startup those it needs, you can selectively add others as needed, example: Scheduler for auto back up software. Machine will start so much quicker.

Mike

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Unbelievable! One part of my mind keeps asking why all that stuff is in there if all it does is slow things down!

Would that be the same for laptops or do you need the items that make the touch pad work and the pointing device (I think those are ones I kept before).

I'm working up the nerve to give your approach a try ...

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Unbelievable! One part of my mind keeps asking why all that stuff is in there if all it does is slow things down!

Would that be the same for laptops or do you need the items that make the touch pad work and the pointing device (I think those are ones I kept before).

I'm working up the nerve to give your approach a try ...

Linda
    Do NOT just disable services. If a service is disabled the computer can NOT just "switch on". The default list of services works pretty well for most users. You should try to figure out what a service does before disabling it. If you want some descriptions and advice about several computing scenarios go to Black Viper and select your OS.

Before removing programs from startup if you are not sure post a list here. Someone will be glad to give you advice.

Joe

Joe

Thanks
    A good list of startup apps and advice as to whether its safe to delete can be found at:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/
    You would have to look at the specific app but most likely deleting it from startup would still allow the touch pad to work as a basic mouse but you would lose some of the options like scrolling
    Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2011-12-19 at 15:25.

Thanks
    Last edited by RussB; 2011-12-19 at 19:18.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Again, wow and many thanks to all of you. I would not have proceeded with just removing Services, having been warned about the importance of doing so safely in a Lounger's advice a few months ago.

And, Joe, you're right: I would post here screen shot lists of my startup folder for advice on what to keep or remove when I'm not sure. That has always worked in the past.

The Lounge, and the links provided by Jerry and Russ, will be a better way to proceed, especially when I'm not "technically adept".

I like the way Bleeping Computer has set up its lists - and was pleased to find a couple of the programs I'd disabled (after Google research) listed in the "Top Unnecessary Entries" column.

Checked out link to autoruns.exe, too. It looked a little technical for my comfort level. Is it better for more technically advanced users?

Thanks for keeping me safe!

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    With Autoruns all you need worry about right now is the Logon tab. A somewhat simpler but still effective program is WhatInStartup.

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe. I do have whatinstartup (earlier Lounger recommendation) so think I'll stick to that and keep the other on my "for later" list.

Linda

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Do NOT just disable services. If a service is disabled the computer can NOT just "switch on". The default list of services works pretty well for most users. You should try to figure out what a service does before disabling it. If you want some descriptions and advice about several computing scenarios go to Black Viper and select your OS.

Before removing programs from startup if you are not sure post a list here. Someone will be glad to give you advice.

Joe

Joe
    Disagree. Works fine. Disable all services, those needed will remain on, others will be off. Switch back those needed to run specific tasks. Not a problem.

Rather than diss something why not try it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast