New Lounger
    Thanks

"Completing Operations" window fails to close!

When shutting Windows 7 down, ofter a window says "Wait, completing operations." After a reasonable waiting period this window fails to close. Manual re-booting shows no ill effects. but this process is troublesome.

What to do?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Could try going in registry (if confident to do so) and go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Controlset001\control\" WaitToKillServiceTimeout"" and check it is not set to more than 15000.
    Other than that some times it is things connected via USB such as external hard drives that slow shutdown. Especially if set to auto backups.

Thanks
    Open task manager by hitting ctrl alt esc. Click on the show processes from all users button. Wait awhile and kill processes one at a time until the pc shuts down to identify the culprit.

Another trouble shooting technique is to clean boot . If you can shut down without the error, perform the diagnostic procedure given on that page.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In Win 7 Pro 64 bit, I could not find the WaitToKillServiceTimeout as instructed.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spooz2 View Post
    In Win 7 Pro 64 bit, I could not find the WaitToKillServiceTimeout as instructed.
    I'm not sure about win & pro as mine is Home Premium. But if you go into registry editor and locate 'find' in the edit tab and type in "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" it should find it in the right hand pane. (Copy and paste without the quotes make sure of case correction)

If it is not in the registry then it may be the cause of the shutdown problem. But it should be a standard windows entry.

If it is not there you can add in the right pane after navigating to my previous location and right click and add a 'REG_DWORD' name it "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" and give it a value of 15000 in decimal format. Then restart comp and then test shutdown.

But to be on the safe side do an export backup of registry to somewhere on an external HDD or mem stick before adding to registry.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2011-12-29 at 11:50.