Star Lounger
    Thanks

Trashed Thumb Drive index

An elderly impoverished friend has problems with her flash/thumb drives.

She has an elderly laptop (probably Win XP) but to get on the internet uses free access on desktop computers at her local library. To transfer data between the two systems she uses thumb/flash drives. She also uses them as a backup storage system.

A short time ago she put a flash drive into her laptop and showed some pictures on it to my wife. She then switched to Excel and then back to the picture viewer. Suddenly the picture viewer crashed and when the friend tried to acess the usb drive again the names of the folders and files in the root directory were replaced by what appear to be random characters and according to the size of the files in the root the 8Gb drive is now holding about 19Gb!!! I assume a well and truely trashed index. The folders will not open.

One of her other flash drives is the same make (one I have never heard of) and when she tried that the same thing happened. The other makes of flash drive appear to be operating as normal. She normally always uses the same USB socket in her laptop.

I guess that there is no way of recovering the pictures if the index has been trashed.

Has anyone have any thoughts on possible recovery and the cause so it can be prevented in future??

JohnB

Thanks
    Try Recuva .

Jerry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

John B (2011-12-21)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I will give that a try once I can get my hands on the Flash Drives. It looks an interesting bit of software.

JohnB

Thanks
    I had a similar experience with a USB flash drive a while back. My USB flash stick was about two years old, and I used it quite a bit. I formatted it to start fresh, and within two weeks the same thing occurred. All listings were gibberish and Windows could not read it. I did not lose data, because I maintain fresh copies of all data in at least three locations.

Given that there is a finite number of write operations these drives can endure before dying, your friend might want to save her files on a new USB flash drive. Hopefully, she has copies of her files on her laptop hard drive.

Whether or not she successfully recovers her files with Recuva, it may be a good idea to reformat that flash drive, and copy files back to it to see if it shortly loses file integrity again. I would only trust the original USB flash drive after it works flawlessly for at least three to four weeks.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sadly her fresh copies were on a second USB drive of the same make that went the same way when she accessed it hoping that all would be OK with that one. She has no intention of using either one again!! She MAY have used them a lot.