Thanks

"Lines down the side" in Word 2010

If I give someone something to read, and they comment on it [intext] and there are then vertical lines down the side of the paragraph where the insertion was placed, how do I get rid of those vertical lines without deleting the text as well?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    To keep the in-line revision marks but get rid of the change bars: Click the lower part of the Track Changes button > Change tracking Options. Then set the Changed lines option to "None".

HTH,
    Pam

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PamCaswell For This Useful Post:

CWBillow (2011-12-17)

Thanks
    Got it. Thanks Pam!

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    To get rid of the marks and keep the text, accept the changes. If you want to get rid of the marks but still have Word keeping track of changes, then you would want to alter how changes are shown. The simplest way to do this is to change your display to Final (not showing markup).
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Charles, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.

Accept the changes? Change display to "Final"?

The changes were put in as "suggestions", so they may or may not be kept, in whole or in part. What I have been doing is just typing over them. But I'm realizing that there must be a better way.

I write a letter. I send it to you for review. You go through and make changes / suggestions.

First, I [sort of] realize that my display settings control whether I can see your markups or not.

Where I'm getting confused is in realizing that it is a "back and forth" deal. You make changes, then it comes back to me, and I can either accept them [type over the markup text?] or not [delete the markups?]. But in either case, the borders were remaining. Now I understand that to be a setting, and that I got fixed [thanks Pam].

But am I supposed to leave all that markup? In other words, "tracking" only goes back to the changes just made if I type over them, doesn't it? And, if they are left there, how does one get rid of all "editing" marks when the final is done?

Chuck

Last edited by Gary Frieder; 2011-12-19 at 04:32. Reason: Fix font size

Thanks
    Charles, for instance, if the text originally said "pairs", then was [suggested to?] changed to "pares" and then finally set at "pears", Word then keeps *all* the changes? Can I then "pick" the one I like and then discard the others?

Chuck
    Last edited by Gary Frieder; 2011-12-19 at 04:32. Reason: Fix font size

Thanks
    Accepting changes is an operation done on the Reviewing tab. If you accept a change, it is no longer marked as a change it is just part of the text. If you reject a change, that proposed change disappears. You can go through changes one at a time or accept or reject them all. See Track Changes. (http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/track_changes.htm) It is a about Word 2003 but the concepts are the same.

Instead of having Track Changes on, you can send a document elsewhere, have it edited, and when it comes back, run a document comparison and get the same sort of markup.

Note, track changes information is what is called metadata and should be removed from the final version of any document being sent out. Otherwise, you are revealing your thought processes and possibly your negotiating strategy.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Charles, for instance, if the text originally said "pairs", then was [suggested to?] changed to "pares" and then finally set at "pears", Word then keeps *all* the changes? Can I then "pick" the one I like and then discard the others?

Chuck
    This isn't how you use tracked changes. As stated earlier, you want to use the feature to accept or reject the change, not type it yourself.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Thanks for the tip!

Chuck

"Note, track changes information is what is called metadata and should be removed from the final version of any document being sent out. Otherwise, you are revealing your thought processes and possibly your negotiating strategy. "