Thread: MSOcache

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MSOcache

I found a large folder on my computer. It is the MSOcache which seems to have been created when I in stalled MS Office. I still have the installer package from MS so can I delete this file? Inside are .msi files and cab files. Do I need these to uninstall any of the office components?

Here is the inside of the folder and one of the subfolders open to typical contents:

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ain't seen that folder for a while but a quick Google search brings up this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825933

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Silly me to not think of Googling it. Strange though that these files do not show up in Disk Cleanup. This article was written for Office 2003 and this is Office 2010.
    Last edited by ldb; 2011-12-18 at 15:21.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ldb View Post
    Silly me to not think of Googling it. Strange though that these files do not show up in Disk Cleanup. This article was written for Office 2003 and this is Office 1020.
    Wow! Is that related to this?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey thanks, that was constructive.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ldb View Post
    Silly me to not think of Googling it. Strange though that these files do not show up in Disk Cleanup. This article was written for Office 2003 and this is Office 2010.
    It is still the same with Office 2010. It is the local install source. From the KB article:

"The Local Install Source feature is installed so that you do not have to insert the CD during the following Setup operations:
    • Detect and Repair
    • Demand Install
    • Maintenance Mode Setup
    • Installation of service packs and patches"

Unless you are desperately short of disk space I recommend you leave the folder alone. It saves a lot of hassle with CD/DVDs. I don't know why it is no longer shown in disk cleanup.

Joe

Thanks
    It is most likely not there because MS thinks it makes it easier to perform the actions you described above, instead of the user trying to find the disc they misplaced. I had to do a repair on Outlook 2010 once, much easier to do with out using disc.