Thanks

Question HP Wrecked My Computer!

It was an HP printer, the box said it worked with SP2, so I loaded it onto an older desktop that I use as a backup. It never got SP3 because, for some reason, it wouldn't accept it. I called MS about that, but we couldn't fix it, so I took it offline permanently. That computer has a program on it that I can't load onto any of my new machines. Anyway, I went to load the software. During installation, the program asked for an SP3 file. I was mystified, knowing what the box said, so I skipped the file and continued installing. Everything worked fine- till I rebooted. Now the computer keeps restarting, won't go to the logon screen. I tried gtting it into safe mode, to uninstall the dang software, but for some reason I couldn't, so I tried rebooting it from a CD, with no success. Now the thing is all messed up and unusuable; luckily it's a backup that's been backed up several times so I have all the files, and the programs I need.

The program I have there is an old graphics software that came with a now obsolete scanner; but it hcould do gifs. No newer machine will load it, says there's not enough memory. A techie told me it had something to do with RAM, if I recall.

I'd really be lost without all the tech people who have been willing to share their knowledge. Thanks to you All.

Lost
    No political solution can solve problems. Money isn't everything. When offering free info, and say, "we'll only tell you so much, then you have to pay," Yes, people need to support themselves but NOT by creating an elite, privilaged group who gets everything just because they can pay for it. In a fair society, everyone is Equal.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    SP3 includes some specific updates, but also a whole host of updates that built on top of SP2. So, although the printer says SP2, it probably means a fully patched SP2, rather than SP3.

The root cause however is likely to be that the PC could not be updated beyond SP2. A fix for that problem would almost certainly overcome the problem you are encountering with the printer.

What was the error trying to update to SP3?

Thanks
    I don't remember what the error was, it was awhile ago, when it was still my internet machine. It's an older desktop. When I took it offline, I removed the AV programs, too, and, since it refuses to accept SP3, it's not worth trying. Now I just wanna get it to work properly again and unload that program from that printer. HP refused to help me because the computer they wrecked isn't an HP, so I'm stuck. Thankfully that's not my main machine. I wish they would've been more specific about the specs. I loaded it onto a newer machine that has SP3, though I don't go online with that unit, and since it is an HP machine, I could get help from them if I needed it. I couldn't load the software on Win 7 on another machine, either, so I returned the darn printer and swore off HP forever, though I do have one working printer from them. The old machine is in the closet now, I haven't the patience to work with it, though maybe one day I will, especially if I knew how to get rid of that dang program. I appreciate any help I can get.

Lost
    No political solution can solve problems. Money isn't everything. When offering free info, and say, "we'll only tell you so much, then you have to pay," Yes, people need to support themselves but NOT by creating an elite, privilaged group who gets everything just because they can pay for it. In a fair society, everyone is Equal.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    OK, you could run System Restore:

1. Click the Start Button.
    2. Click Run.
    3. In the text box, type Restore and click OK.
    4. In the window than opens, double click on the RSTRUI application to launch the System Restore Application.

Follow the System Restore Wizard to restore the computer to a time before the Printer programs were installed. That should get it back working again and perhaps allow you think about debugging why SP3 would not load.

However, reading your original post, it seems that the system will not boot properly (even in Safe Mode). It that is the case, you have really only a handful of options:

• You could attempt to recover from your backups, but it's not clear if those will allow you to boot from a recovery disk, or,
    • You could attempt to run a non-destructive re-installation of Windows XP using the boot CD, or, if that fails and you cannot boot the machine at all,
    • You are really left with running a clean installation.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Lost and Tinto, greets.
    I had this SP3 problem with a machine, it turned out to be that it would not recognize my Vid-card, changed it and all is fine. There is a slew of notes flowing on some site about this being common to AMD CPUs and HP (Compaq) motherboard. Google for it, I have lost the reference. Going to Restore will solve the situation but not the problem.

Thanks
    Hi and thanks to you both for your help. Can this be done in DOS? I can't even get to the Windows logon screen. If I can be sure it can be fixed I will do it, I don't have $100 to give a repair person. I hate HP, found out they have a 50% return on their printers, yet corporate keeps pushing them,(whoever they are that dictate to the store); must be getting paid well; gotta write that company who runs the store and tell 'em HP is unreliable. I told HP they needed to improve their software, I gave extensive feedback, told them I felt misled- will they listen? (nodding head "NO" with a cynical laugh.)

Lost

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost in Cyberspace View Post
    Hi and thanks to you both for your help. Can this be done in DOS? I can't even get to the Windows logon screen.
    A restore from backup might be possible using a boot disk, but it depends on what type of backups you have and what boot disk you intend to use.

Re-installation can only be implemented from the manufacturers recovery disk or from a Windows installation disk.

Unfortunately, I can't give you any guarantees that anyone of those options will 100% work, because of the underlying "unable to load SP3" fault and since you now cannot boot into Windows run a system restore.

I know it is not a nice situation, but due to the complexity of the symptoms and number of problems you are presenting on the machine it may be easier to take the machine to a local trusted repair shop who may be able to run diagnostics and give you a more hands-on response.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    To perform a manual system restore, have a look here. This procedure saved me a couple times and other people used it successfully, as well.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost in Cyberspace View Post
    It was an HP printer, the box said it worked with SP2,

I'd really be lost without all the tech people who have been willing to share their knowledge. Thanks to you All.
    Lost,

Hello...Sorry if i missed it ..but SP-2? What OS ? Vista , XP? ...Also If you have a HP Printer You can go to their website and download ( and save) drivers for your particular OS \ printer combo ... When choosing make sure that you pick the correct operating system and "Bitness" (32 or 64) Using windows explorer check to see what printer drivers that might be already installed .. If for some reason you have HP ..you can launch it and select the un-install option.. So....you can then load the correct one. Regards Fred

PS: if you can't find the correct drivers (software) post back with the model of the printer and the OS your running.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    @Lost:

Ruirib's link to System Restore from the Installation Disk sounds a good possibility: but it will only return you to the broken SP2 and not fix the unable to load SP3. However, I think you would settle for that right now!

Give it a go if you have the installation CD.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    2 other option as far a System Restore goes. You said you can't get to the login screen but what about the boot options screen that comes before (Safe mode; safe mode with networking, etc.)?
    If you get to that screen and boot to command line you can try a command line restore .
    Also to get a utility that will sprinkle the fairy dust for you, there is a utility on the UBCD4Win boot CD which requires a Win XP disk to provide the operatiing environment, but it will automate all the manual system restore steps for you. Lots of other potentially useful stuff on there as well.

Thanks
    Thanks all for your help. I'm overwhelmed but very happy to see so many helpful people.

I don't have the printer anymore, got disgusted with it and sent it back a week after purchase..

The computer has XP on it. The other details I have to look up, though I think it's an AMD system, very old, I bought it in '03, it had win 98 on it, I had it upgraded to win xp professional. The disk drive doesn't work anymore, but I had another one put in before it died, it's a CD/RW, so I tried that one, but it wouldn't boot the disk. The machine is in awful condition but I still wanna do something with it. Lucky everything on it is backed up.

I think remember seeing the command line. My eyesight isn't very good and there's no one to help me but I do my best. I'll have to fix it from DOS if I can get to the command line. Too bad the machine's so old. If I can't fix it, it's not important enough to be worth the money I'd have to spend, I'll just have the HD removed and destroyed, then send it off to be recycled.

Oh by the way, I think I posted this thread in the wrong section by accident, this is really a software problem, not hardware. I thought someone would've said something. (embarrassed.)

Lost